250MB Drive shows only 128MB when connected via USB2

Old August 17th 04, 08:58 AM
Spammay Blockay

Default 250MB Drive shows only 128MB when connected via USB2

Hi all!

So I bought a new 250MB Western Digital drive, and put it into
my USB2 & Firewire enclosure, replacing the 120MB one I'd had in
there.

Under Windows 2000, using Firewire (via a Cardbus card in my
laptop) crashes Windows over and over again. Not sure if it's
related to the drive or the Cardbus card, although I'm able to
use a DVD burner via the same Firewire card without any
errors.

Anyway, due to these crashes (which don't happen under XP Pro,
I noticed), I switched to using the enclosure's USB 2.0 port,
via a Belkin USB 2.0 Cardbus card (my laptop only has USB 1.1
built in).

This worked, but then I noticed that Windows 2000 (and XP as
well) shows only 128MB on the drive!

Is there some USB 2.0 limitation under Windows 2000 that would
cause this effect?

And has anyone seen consistent crashes whenever attaching
a drive via Cardbus Firewire adapter under Windows 2000?

This is all getting annoying, especially since the Firewire
connection to the drive *used* to work with no problems, but
suddenly started happening recently (perhaps due to a Windows
update or other drivers installed).

- Tim

Old August 17th 04, 10:11 AM
Spammay Blockay

Sorry folks -- after more research here, I found that the problem
is probably my enclosure. I'm going to be ordering a new one to
take care of the problem.

- Tim

Old August 18th 04, 06:46 AM
Spammay Blockay

In article k.net,
Alexander Grigoriev wrote:
Looks like the firmware in USB2 path of the enclosure doesn't support
BigATA.

Yup, looks like it. Kinda annoying, and I wish they'd provided an
upgrade path to the firmware. Sucks.

- Tim