Using EMC PowerPath for LUNs in Hitachi 9585 storage array ??

Old July 29th 04, 05:08 AM
FreeDiver

Default Using EMC PowerPath for LUNs in Hitachi 9585 storage array ??

To Whom It May Concern :

We have two Solaris 2.8 SUN servers (E6500 & SunFire F6800) which run
PowerPath VERSION: 2.1.0_b100 and PowerPath VERSION: 3.0.3_b030
repectively. Both servers have Veritas Oracle DB Edition 3.5 (i.e.,
VxVM & VxFS) with DMP enabled. Certain paths to controllers have been
suppressed under Veritas and they are in turn controlled by PowerPath.

We need to migrate all Veritas volumes from existing EMC FC4700
Clariions to Hitachi 9585 array for these 2 servers.

My questions are below :

- Does EMC PowerPath software support load-balancing and fail-over for
LUNs in Hitachi 9585 storage array ??

- Can we re-use our current version of PowerPath software to manage
the LUNs in Hitachi 9585 storage array ??

- If not, what version of PowerPath do we need to upgrade to 4.2, 4.3,
etc ?? Could we do "direct" upgrade without going thru intermediate
steps for our current version of PowerPath ??

- If we can't use any version of PowerPath softrware to manage the
luns in Hitachi 9585 array, Could you tell me what the procedure is to
remove the PowerPath and all power devices for both server.

THANKS,

Bill
Old July 29th 04, 11:44 PM
Jesper Monsted

Frank wrote in news:njjig09m6dhu3809ott590jf4ldr69ghdr@
4ax.com:

- If we can't use any version of PowerPath softrware to manage the
luns in Hitachi 9585 array, Could you tell me what the procedure is to
remove the PowerPath and all power devices for both server.

Have a look in your manual for Powerpath, there is a "Removing
Powerpath" section in there. If you can't find the manual anymore try
powerlink.emc.com or ask EMCs customer service - all manuals are
available in pdf.

pkgrm EMCpower;

that's about all

--
/Jesper Monsted
Old July 30th 04, 08:39 AM
Frank

On 29 Jul 2004 22:44:07 GMT, Jesper Monsted
wrote:

Frank wrote in news:njjig09m6dhu3809ott590jf4ldr69ghdr@
4ax.com:

- If we can't use any version of PowerPath softrware to manage the
luns in Hitachi 9585 array, Could you tell me what the procedure is to
remove the PowerPath and all power devices for both server.

Have a look in your manual for Powerpath, there is a "Removing
Powerpath" section in there. If you can't find the manual anymore try
powerlink.emc.com or ask EMCs customer service - all manuals are
available in pdf.

pkgrm EMCpower;

that's about all

To remove the software, of course. If you're using emcpower devices
somewhere you have to do some reconfig before that.

Old August 16th 04, 08:36 PM
SOB

FreeDiver schrieb:

[...]

You do not need Powerpath if you allready have got Veritas DMP. Update
your ASL and you should be able to use the Thunder.

If you are doing loadbalancing, tkae in mind, that midrange system can
only load balance on the same controller, but you need a path to the
other controller for failover reasons.
so you had to setuo 4 paths.

but don't care. if you buy the thunder, there is implementation
included. so they can help you with all those setuop stuff.