Epson RX500 printer problems

Old December 29th 04, 04:22 AM

Default Epson RX500 printer problems

I've had this printer for approximately 6 months with no problems.
I've just recently replaced my printer cartridges with generics and
although did not have any problems initially, now I cannot get the
magenta (486) to clear up, I get vertical banding in anything that I
print. I have tried to align the heads (all well there), cleaned the
printer heads 8 times and checked the nozzles everytime thereafter and
always the magenta has gaps in it. I'm at a loss as to what my next
option is. Incidentally, the magenta was the first cartridge that I
had replaced, never had a problem up until now. Also, I use my printer
at least once a week (more since the Holidays). Should I try to
replace the cartridge again (magenta)? Continue to clean (this uses a
LOT of ink)? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Old December 29th 04, 09:34 AM
Si

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had this printer for approximately 6 months with no problems.
I've just recently replaced my printer cartridges with generics

There's your problem. Why do ppl still continue to buy expensive printers
and then shove cheap ink into them?

Si.

Old December 29th 04, 01:23 PM
Arthur Entlich

Don't bother continuing to do cleaning cycles. They waste a lot of ink,
since each color ink is used up, not just the one which is clogged.

If you email me privately, I can send you an Epson cleaning manual which
explains how to resolve this problem, at no cost.

Although I won't point my finger at the generic ink company
specifically, some things you need to understand:

Although ink formulation isn't rocket science there are a lot of factors
in making ink correctly. The correct proportions of water, alcohol and
glycol mix, the correct dye colors and amounts, how well filtered the
materials are and to what size to avoid head contamination, what pH the
ink is, the drying time, fade resistance, etc. With pigment inks, the
size of the pigment particles and how they are suspended in the base.

Also, if the cartridge is a refill, the hygiene of the refilling
company, and if it is new, whether the design is similar to the OEM
version. Epson's ink cartridges are very complex (for the newer single
color type) involving spring loaded valves, filters, and an liquid to
air exchange filter, among other things. Simpler designs may cause ink
starvation, ink evaporation or leakage.

I am not suggesting no generics are good, some are probably just fine,
but some are certainly disasters. You need to try to find out which are
best by word of mouth.

Lastly, there are Epson counterfeits out there and even Epson's own inks
are not without reports of clogs, fading, etc., so that is no absolute
guarantee of perfect results either.

Art

Old December 29th 04, 01:26 PM
Arthur Entlich

Well, mainly because the printers aren't all that expensive relative to
the cost of replacement inks. In fact, most cost the same as the first
ink replacement and other only 2 or 3 replacements at most.

People recognize that the printers themselves are good value for their
dollar, but the inks are not.

Art

Si wrote:

oups.com...

Old December 29th 04, 08:17 PM
Povl H. Pedersen

In article tgyAd.20209$Y72.5378@edtnps91, Arthur Entlich wrote:
Well, mainly because the printers aren't all that expensive relative to
the cost of replacement inks. In fact, most cost the same as the first
ink replacement and other only 2 or 3 replacements at most.

Then get quality 3rd party ink. I use JetTec. Better than the originals
from Epson on my RX500 (according to printer profiling). They also
guarantees your printer. Clogged head with JetTec, and they repair it
for free.

Had the first original set clog on me, could not clean it with cleaning
cycles. Som ammonia based window cleaning liquid on the sponge for a day,
and all works perfect again.

People recognize that the printers themselves are good value for their
dollar, but the inks are not.

Agree.

--
Povl H. Pedersen - (yes - it works)
Fastnet - IP telefoni: 5 kr/md Se
Old December 29th 04, 11:12 PM
mpx

What you wrote just confirms that something is wrong with inkjet idea
itself. It looks like with the increased quality of print - achieved with
smaller noozles - inkjets became more vunerable to printhead problems -
clogging, burning out etc. I have still functional Epson IIs that prints
with any kind of ink I fill the cartridge with, including pigmented inks for
HP or Lexmark. No clogging, as in later Epsons - thanks to large noozles.

Old December 29th 04, 11:58 PM

Art, can you e-mail the suggestions you spoke of? My e-mail address is
, I do not have your's.

Thanks!

Old December 30th 04, 04:12 PM
Safetymom123

If you do a reply to Art instead of reply group, you will have his address.

oups.com...

Old January 2nd 05, 03:36 PM
Arthur Entlich

I'm sorry but I do not respond to requests made in postings within lists
or newsgroups.

My email address should appear in every posting as part of the header.

However, if for some reason your email client cut that off, you can
email me at:

artistic(at sign)telus(dot)net

(please make the appropriate substitutions (@) (.))

Art