Ghost/True Image integrity error on GW Laptop

Old April 27th 05, 03:00 AM
Shooter

Default Ghost/True Image integrity error on GW Laptop

Equipment:
Gateway 450 SX4 Laptop
Mobile Intel Pentium 4 @ 1.7GHz
XP Home v2002 w/SP2
512M Memory
Hard Drive: 30gig IDE Hitachi Travelstar IC25N030ATCS04-0
DVD/CDRW Combo Drive: QSI SBW-241
Burning Softwa Nero Ultra Edition v6.6.0.8a

Okay, been trying to get an image backup program to work with this
thing. Have tried both Ghost 2003 and True Image v8.0 build 826.
However I get the same error with both programs so it has nothing to
do with Ghost or True Image.

I do both program’s optional boot to rescue disk (not into windows) to
run the programs from the system level. Both programs do image
backups to CD (8 of them) with no problems. However, I get errors on
one CD or another when checking the integrity of the backup. No
matter if it is Ghost or True Image, the integrity check fails when
run from the system level and it is never the same CD that fails even
when running the integrity on the same set of backup CDs as before.

Okay, you say that the problem must be a bad or substandard optical
drive. I say, WHAT! A substandard part made by child prison labor in
China for Gateway, also known for their world renowned Technical
Support? No Way! Okay, all kidding aside and back to the problem…
That was what I thought, a bad drive. But, you can also run the
integrity check on all the CDs from both Ghost and True Image from
both program’s windows environment and guess what…. The set of 8 CDs
all pass the integrity check in both programs when done from the
windows environment. Integrity only fails when using either program’s
system level interface. So, the drive is good….

Any Ghost/True Image gurus out there that can explain this to me…
Reason being is that if I ever need to restore from these CD’s, then
it will be done from the system level interface.

Thanks in advance for any help…