1.33 Athalon - Safe Operating Temperature?

Old September 13th 04, 05:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
whozix

Default 1.33 Athalon - Safe Operating Temperature?

I rebuilt a system on a new FIC AU-13 motherboard, reusing my older Athalon
1.33 CPU. I purchased this OEM chip 3 years ago along with an AMD -
recommended Coolermaster heat-sink & fan. When I did the rebuild, I lapped
the large aluminum heat-sink to a fine finish, using 2000-grit sandpaper and
cleaned the CPU die with isopropyl alcohol. I finished by applying a fine
coat of Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste, per the instructions on their
website. I installed in an ATX mid-tower case with a single 80 mm case fan
(blowing in).

Despite this effort, CPU temps range from 47 Celsius at ambient room
temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) to 55 Celsius at room temperatures
in the low 80's (Fahrenheit). These temps occur after 15 or 20 minutes of
light operation (web surfing). I fear these temps are too high for sustained
system health. I had hoped to achieve a modest overclock with this CPU but
with these temperatures, I won't even try.

Questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that these temps are too high?
2. Can someone recommend an affordable heat-sink/fan combo that will
significantly reduce the CPU temperature? My budget is tight ($20 - $25 US).

Thanks for any wisdom or input.

Old September 13th 04, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 13:52:39 -0600, Raj wrote:

you should had that fan on your atx case blowing the air out of the case.

No. He has it right. Assuming it's mountefd in the lower front. The PSU
fan is an exhaust, so he has it set up the way it should be.

Old September 13th 04, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 12:19:37 -0400, whozix wrote:

Despite this effort, CPU temps range from 47 Celsius at ambient room
temperatures in the low 70's (Fahrenheit) to 55 Celsius at room temperatures
in the low 80's (Fahrenheit). These temps occur after 15 or 20 minutes of
light operation (web surfing). I fear these temps are too high for sustained
system health. I had hoped to achieve a modest overclock with this CPU but
with these temperatures, I won't even try.

55C is not too hot considering room temps of 80+F.

Questions:

1. Am I correct in assuming that these temps are too high?

They seem pretty much normal considering the condidtions, CPU, and coolers
of the time frame.

2. Can someone recommend an affordable heat-sink/fan combo that will
significantly reduce the CPU temperature? My budget is tight ($20 - $25
US).

Would have helped to know which exact cooler you had, but for one that is
cheap ($8), quiet (21dba), and does a great job (rated up to 3400+,
there's the TR2-M1 (or M3). Replacing the 2500rpm 80mm fan would give you
better cooling but shouldn't be needed. Another good choice though more
expensive but close to your price range would be a Thermalright ALX-800
with a fan of your choice. It's $16 without a fan. throw a $1.69 80mm fan
on it and it will probably cool a little better than the TR2-M1. test show
it to be very close to the top performers.

Old September 14th 04, 02:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
whozix

Would have helped to know which exact cooler you had,

Sorry it is a Coolermaster DP5-6I31C, specs. available he
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...&other_title=0

but for one that is
cheap ($8), quiet (21dba), and does a great job (rated up to 3400+,
there's the TR2-M1 (or M3). Replacing the 2500rpm 80mm fan would give you
better cooling but shouldn't be needed. Another good choice though more
expensive but close to your price range would be a Thermalright ALX-800
with a fan of your choice. It's $16 without a fan. throw a $1.69 80mm fan
on it and it will probably cool a little better than the TR2-M1. test show
it to be very close to the top performers.

My thanks for your kind suggestions. Would you care to speculate about what
sort of temperature improvement I might realize by changing to one of your
recommended solutions?

Old September 14th 04, 07:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Wes Newell

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:45:34 -0400, whozix wrote:

Sorry it is a Coolermaster DP5-6I31C, specs. available he
http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...&other_title=0

My thanks for your kind suggestions. Would you care to speculate about what
sort of temperature improvement I might realize by changing to one of your
recommended solutions?

Compared to the old one you have now I'd guess it would lower the temps by
10-15C.

Old September 14th 04, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
whozix

"Wes Newell" wrote in message
newsan.2004.09.14.06.47.14.22680@TAKEOUTverizon. net...
On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:45:34 -0400, whozix wrote:

Sorry it is a Coolermaster DP5-6I31C, specs. available he

http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...&other_title=0

My thanks for your kind suggestions. Would you care to speculate about

what
sort of temperature improvement I might realize by changing to one of

your
recommended solutions?

Compared to the old one you have now I'd guess it would lower the temps by
10-15C.

Thanks again. I am presently shopping on-line for a new HS & fan.

Old September 15th 04, 12:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
R Davis

If this case fan is in the rear of the case it should be blowing Out, not
in. I think this will make a big drop.

Old September 15th 04, 11:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
rstlne

"whozix" wrote in message
[...]

Search Goggole For it..
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...+stoopid&meta=
or
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...umbass&met a=

Old September 15th 04, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Nero

ATHLON
not ATHELON