I need an upgrade, your suggestions please?

Old November 4th 05, 08:20 PM
Derek

Default I need an upgrade, your suggestions please?

Hi, I'm a noob so sorry if this is a bit boring for you guys but I could
really use some sound advice.

I'm stuck in the dark ages at the moment.

I'll explain, my set up is currently as follows:

PC Chips M572 Mainboard
AMD K6 266Mhz Processor
96Mb EDO RAM
STB Nitro 3D Graphics Card
Creative CD2422E CDROM
Fujitsu MPA3026AT Hard Drive
Fujitsu MPC3064AT Hard Drive
C-Media Soundcard
AT Keyboard
Serial Mouse
14" SVGA Monitor

This has been fine for a while because all I did was send emails and post to
NG's and stuff. However, I am a meddler in music and I have great plans to
connect my electric guitar up to my pc and record using Cubase software or
Pro Tools. I'd also like to try Reason. I realise I need a HUGE upgrade.
Perhaps it's just easier to buy a new pc but I was just wondering if I could
save any money by buying my own bits and pieces. I don't mind the small
monitor I have. I also have a Creative SoundBlaster Sound Card to plug in
when ready. My HD's are very small but I can live with it for the time
being.

So really, what I need (I think) is the following:

An ATX case (Does the power supply come with that?)
An ATX Motherboard
A fast CPU (What's that, a Pentium 4?. Really, as fast as needed to run
powerful music software and run movies, etc)
I guess I'll need a new heatsink and fan for the CPU.
New RAM

I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a good set-up? I'm afraid
I have no idea what motherboards are compatible with what processors, etc,
etc.

So, I guess I'm looking for a good powerful machine but also the best value
for money. It doesn't have to be the most powerful overall, but more
importantly a decent modern pc put together for a good price. I was hoping
to source bits from ebay to reduce those costs a bit.

Any ideas?

Old November 4th 05, 09:28 PM
philo

snip

[...]

you may want to look at a barebones kit...
the following link is merely an example of what's out there

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=31

Old November 4th 05, 09:44 PM
Bob

On Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:20:31 GMT, "Derek" wrote:

Hi, I'm a noob so sorry if this is a bit boring for you guys but I could
really use some sound advice.

Your best bet is to buy a Dell computer. Go to their local retail
store, assuming they have one where you live, and custom configure it.
Or you can get an online saleman to help you. The advantage of online
sales is you can talk the salesman into a $100 discount. Try it - it
does work because he wants your business bad enough to knock $100 off
the price.

one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore
-- George Bernard Shaw
Old November 4th 05, 09:48 PM
Bob

On Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:28:12 -0600, "philo" wrote:

you may want to look at a barebones kit...
the following link is merely an example of what's out there

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...c.asp?CatId=31

If you really want to buy on the cheap, Directron has a Used Pentium
III 450MHz Desktop PC System for $59.00. You already have a monitor so
for $80 with shipping you have doubled your speed.

Directron also has barebones kits and fully built units. Call tech
support and ask for Juan - he knows everything about the product line
and will help you. Directron will also custom build to your personal
needs and only charge an extra $27 which includes assembly, testing,
burning, etc. If you do that you get free return shipping to Directron
if something goes wrong during the 1 year warranty period.

Old November 4th 05, 09:48 PM
Bob

http://www.directron.com/gxa.html

Old November 4th 05, 10:13 PM
Derek

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've got a few ideas now to get me started.

Cheers.

Old November 4th 05, 11:06 PM
philo

"Derek" wrote in message

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've got a few ideas now to get me
started.

Just in case you do buy from Tigerdirect...
if they have a rebate...the thing to do is go to their website
before you order... and print out the rebate form

Old November 5th 05, 09:18 AM
Sniffer

If you really want to buy on the cheap, Directron has a Used Pentium
III 450MHz Desktop PC System for $59.00.

Pentium III 800Mhz is in Poland for $20

Old November 5th 05, 12:37 PM
Bob

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:18:38 +0100, "Sniffer" wrote:

If you really want to buy on the cheap, Directron has a Used Pentium
III 450MHz Desktop PC System for $59.00.

Pentium III 800Mhz is in Poland for $20

Yeah, but who reads Polish?

--

"The scientist is possessed by a rapturous amazement at the
harmony of natural law, which reveals an intelligence of such

"This feeling is the guiding principle of his life and work,
in so far as he succeeds in keeping himself from the shackles
of selfish desire. It is beyond question closely akin to that
which has possessed the religious geniuses of all ages."

--Albert Einstein
Old November 5th 05, 03:13 PM
philo

snip

The real key is not to use Tiger Direct. Take a look at Reseller
Ratings. They have always sucked and they still do. It is beyond me
how they stay in business.

Bubba

Places like Newegg are much better...
however except for not knowing about the rebates...
I buy from Tigerdirect on occasion if the price is right