Acer Aspire 1692 WLMI CPU upgrade is it feasible ?

Old October 5th 08, 05:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
007[_5_]

Default Acer Aspire 1692 WLMI CPU upgrade is it feasible ?

Acer Aspire 1692 WLMI CPU upgrade is it feasible to go
for the highest CPU (I think 2.3 MHz?) on this laptop?
The present 1.73 is a bit to "hot" when working hard up to
80C degree. This is very hot CPU at work. This occured
just recently under heavy load.

TIA
Old October 6th 08, 05:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
William R. Walsh

Hi!
Acer Aspire 1692 WLMI CPU upgrade is it feasible to go for the highest
CPU (I think 2.3 MHz?) on this laptop?
The present 1.73 is a bit to "hot" when working hard up to
80C degree. This is very hot CPU at work.

I'll bet the 2.3GHz CPU runs even hotter under load.

Laptop cooling systems usually can't keep the system as cool as a desktop
computer can. This is true because there just isn't as much heatsink area.

Another thing that happens--over time, as the fans run, they blow air
through a radiator-like structure to help the laptop shed heat. You will
find these on the CPU and graphics processor. There may also be one leading
from the Northbridge portion of the chipset. These things plug up over time.
A good way to clean them is to move air through them in reverse. Use a can
of dusting spray or an air compressor that puts out *clean* and dry* air.

William

Old October 6th 08, 09:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
007[_5_]

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:2zgGk.318943$TT4.21975@attbi_s22...
Hi!
[...]

Thanks William for sharing your views with me.
I did exactly what you advised and the result was
immediate and the cooling improved (cut down to
47C degrees) amazingly. There was cooling duct
cluttered with dust.

And of course the CPU I've mention was wrong.
It should be 2.13 MHz only.

Thanks again -
Joe

Old October 7th 08, 12:13 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
McCorkindale

[...]

P.S.
Thanks again, but I have one more problem with the same Acer.
The sound on this laptop is sometimes very squeaky and scratchy.
I tried to uninstall audio drivers for AC97 stereo studio but in vane.

TIA
Joe

Old October 8th 08, 05:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Thanks again, but I have one more problem with the same Acer.
The sound on this laptop is sometimes very squeaky and scratchy.

I would go to the Acer web site and see if a newer audio driver is available
for your model. It is also possible that the internal speakers are broken.
Have you tried external speakers or careful (!!!) use of headphones to see
if the problem is still there?

Good luck with your laptop. It should be a lot happier now, and it will have
a longer useful life if you clean the dust out every now and then. Hopefully
one of your fans doesn't fail:

If you have a few minutes http://greyghost.mooo.com/d800fanrepair/ is the
story of the fan that doesn't officially seem to exist in my Dell laptop. It
too was a lot happier after being serviced.

William

Old October 8th 08, 12:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Harry Co

"William R. Walsh" m
wrote in message news:6wWGk.377229$yE1.176681@attbi_s21...
Hi!

Thanks again, but I have one more problem with the same Acer.
The sound on this laptop is sometimes very squeaky and scratchy.

I would go to the Acer web site and see if a newer audio driver is
available for your model. It is also possible that the internal speakers
are broken. Have you tried external speakers or careful (!!!) use of
headphones to see if the problem is still there?

Good luck with your laptop. It should be a lot happier now, and it will
have a longer useful life if you clean the dust out every now and then.
Hopefully one of your fans doesn't fail:

If you have a few minutes http://greyghost.mooo.com/d800fanrepair/ is the
story of the fan that doesn't officially seem to exist in my Dell laptop.
It too was a lot happier after being serviced.

William

Greetings!
Thanks for advice.
Searching for solution to the sound problem , I've noticed
that the sound is clear no scratches when the external
loud speakers are conected. So, it indicates that there
might be a phiscal problem with internal loud speakers.

Thanks for link I'm going to check it now.