Noisy Variable Fan

Old March 7th 07, 05:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Albert

Default Noisy Variable Fan

I am not very technically minded, but would appreciated some advice.

I have a Packard Bell Ixtreme Gold MC 1904 which is running OK, but I have a
slight concern with it.

There is a fan inside the box which, as I would expect, runs continuously.
What concerns me is that the fan speed varies quite wildly, going up and
down every few seconds and at times becoming quite noisy. It is not running
in a hot environment (normally around 20C - 68F).

Is this something about which I should be concerned, or is it quite normal?

Albert
England

Old March 7th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

The fan may be noisy because it has gotten clogged with dust and dirt. It may
be noisy because it is noisy. If the fan has three wire leads to the
motherboard connector, there is probably a temperature sensor on the
motherboard, which adjusts the speed of the fan when the processor/motherboard
temperature is to too hot or too cold.

Continuously running fans are pretty much the state of the art on most Pentium 4
systems, because the processor consumes a lot of wattage and gives off a lot of
heat... Ben Myers

Old March 8th 07, 12:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Mar 7, 2:10 pm, Ben Myers
wrote:
[...]

England- Hide quoted text -

I have never had a fan that did not acquire dust buildup to some
degree.
Noise
They make noise
Sometimes they do not start up at all due the quantity of crud and
then seem to
get their momemtum and then move only to slow down again

The dust can be removed
I actually take out the fan and remove the dust with a q tip
or other suitable arrangement or just repcae the offending fan with my
large quantity of fans from strip downs.

All fans are not made equal and do not have the same rights granted
by the Fan Constitution

Yes there are inferior fans and superior fans

Nothwithstanding Yankee fans

Old March 8th 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Tom Lake

Nothwithstanding Yankee fans,

who are the best of all.

Tom Lake

Old March 8th 07, 03:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Albert

Many thanks for the replies.

Once I fathomed out how to take the side off the box (difficult when you
have never done it before) I could see that the grid thing behind the fan
was caked in dust. Cleaned it off in situ (couldn't work out how to take it
out), and then struggled again to get the cover back on.

So far (touch wood) the speed has not changed.

Old March 8th 07, 06:10 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

If you have a can of compressed air and a couple of q-tips, you can make fairly
short work out of cleaning the inside of a computer, including a processor fan
and heat sink. That "in situ" stuff can get you arrested by the language cops
who do not understand one whit of Latin. Removal of the typical Socket 478
heat sink/fan assembly is not for the faint hearted... Ben Myers

Old March 8th 07, 06:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Albert

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
If you have a can of compressed air and a couple of q-tips, you can make
fairly
short work out of cleaning the inside of a computer, including a processor
fan
and heat sink. That "in situ" stuff can get you arrested by the language
cops
who do not understand one whit of Latin. Removal of the typical
Socket 478
heat sink/fan assembly is not for the faint hearted... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben. I managed to get most of the muck out with q-tips, blown air
and a vacuum cleaner and it seems fine now.

I suspect that the "in situ" comment doesn't apply in the UK as it is
commonly used here, but noted!

Old March 19th 07, 02:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mdp

Albert wrote:
"Ben Myers" wrote in message
If you have a can of compressed air and a couple of q-tips, you can
make fairly
short work out of cleaning the inside of a computer, including a
processor fan
and heat sink. That "in situ" stuff can get you arrested by the
language cops
who do not understand one whit of Latin. Removal of the typical
Socket 478
heat sink/fan assembly is not for the faint hearted... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben. I managed to get most of the muck out with q-tips, blown
air and a vacuum cleaner and it seems fine now.

I suspect that the "in situ" comment doesn't apply in the UK as it is
commonly used here, but noted!

I find a dry or unused paint brush works well too.

Old March 19th 07, 05:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers

Preferably one with soft bristles, like a small inexpensive artist's brush. I
use a brush, too... Ben Myers