CMOS Checksum error on power on

Old May 18th 06, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default CMOS Checksum error on power on

"JAD" wrote in
:

battery is in backwards or is defective. you did not enter cmos, make
appropriate changes, and then save those changes.

I have tried this:
1. Enter the CMOS, make appropriate changes, and save, enter CMOS again,
and save again (as Suggested by Kony), re-enter CMOS once again, and save
again.

2. Short the clear CMOS jumper, then do the above (in no. 1).

3. Change the CMOS battery, then do the above (in no. 2).

All this doesn't resolve the problem.

As for Ken's suggestion, to load up the default and see anything
incorrect, I fail to see what's incorrect with my setup, which deviates
from the default only in th following:

a. Boot sequence: HDD, floppy, CD-ROM (default: Floppy, HDD, CDROM)
b. Limit CPUID length to 3: Disabled (default: enabled) (I'm using Win
XP)
c. AC97 Audio: Disabled (default: auto) (because I use a soundcard)
d. Game port address: Disabled (default: 201)
e. PME Event Wakeup: Disabled (default: Enabled)
f. Wake on Lan: Disabled (default: Enabled)
g. CPU Warning Temp: 70C (default: Disabled)
h. CPU Fan Fail Warning: Enabled (default: Disabled)

Plz Help
TIA
Old May 18th 06, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Ricky Romaya" wrote in message
. 159...
"JAD" wrote in
:

[...]

Do you have the IDE set to Auto detect?
Try booting without the keyboard or mouse attached(or any USB firewire ect
attached) and see if you get the checksum error.(you'll probably get a KB
error)

Old May 18th 06, 07:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 18 May 2006 16:11:12 GMT, Ricky Romaya wrote:

"JAD" wrote in
:

[...]

Anytime you receive a CMOS checksum error or remove the battery, the BIOS
should be set to default settings by jumpering the CMOS pins for one minute
with the power off. There are several possible causes of the error, but
you will never find out unless you are working with the default BIOS
settings.
Old May 18th 06, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 18 May 2006 16:11:12 GMT, Ricky Romaya
wrote:

"JAD" wrote in
:

[...]

make sure the AC power is disconnected when you clear CMOS.
You might as well try loading the CMOS defaults... what do
you have to lose?

Check on a bios update for your board, read the bios release
notes to see if anything like this might be addressed.
Don't try to flash a new bios unless the system seems
(otherwise) stable.
Old May 18th 06, 11:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

kony wrote:
On 18 May 2006 16:11:12 GMT, Ricky Romaya
wrote:

"JAD" wrote in
:

[...]

I agree with Kony and others that are suggesting about reloading the default
values.

It is possible to have corrupted CMOS memory locations which may not show
up when viewing the menu screens. The menu screens only show you a portion
of what is stored in the CMOS chip.

Reload the factory settings from the menu and boot the box. It might just
flush out the problem and then you can go back and make the changes you
want.