GeForce Ti 4200 - hot

Old July 26th 03, 06:21 AM
flame_thrower

Default GeForce Ti 4200 - hot

"PHil" wrote in message
: Is it normal that the backside of the card is hot to the touch?

I don't know .Begin rambling
My case is on and I'm having troubles with video settings saving on
1024x768. I found it may be better to update the driver through video
settings than just executing what you d/l from nvidia, and a friend
suggested re-installing direct x . I'll see next time I reboot. BTW how long
are the fans good for on the Chaintech or is it another brand they fail on?
:
:

Old July 26th 03, 08:42 AM
grahamilton

Yep this is normal for the underside of the GPU core, mine can only be
described as f#cking hot, in fact im cooking a full english breakfast on
mine as i type away here The TNT's were hotter I would have to say, judging
from my scars. If your games arnt showing any weird glitches, funning
looking textures and then crashing, theres nothing to worry about. If this
is of concern you could always get a bigger heatsink/fan. Something thats
popular in the overclocking/modding community at the moment is lapping the
GPU itself, everything upto the GF4 [could be wrong about this] has this god
awfull circular impression on the GPU which doesnt give full contact between
GPU and heatsink, wouldnt recommend the casual PC user doing this unless he
really knows what she/he is doing. ive read doing this really brings the
tempreture on the backside of the GPU down.
It sounds like your starting to take an interest on the inside of you PC
case, so a good place to start is www.tomshardware.com

Old July 26th 03, 09:25 AM
J.Clarke

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 19:05:29 +1000
"Brendan" wrote:

Isnt that what thermal paste is for? filling little iregularities in
the surface of the chip so more heat it transfered?

Little irregularities yes. But it's not a substitute for metal-to-metal
contact, and if the chip or the heat sink is not flat then the
metal-to-metal contact is not as high as it could be. May or may not be
an issue depending on how much heat you need to dissipate.

Brendan C.

"PHil" wrote in message
Is it normal that the backside of the card is hot to the touch?

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)