Radeon 3870 vs. GeForce 8800GT

Old July 20th 08, 03:43 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Matt

Default Radeon 3870 vs. GeForce 8800GT

Hey guys. I'm struggling to see which of the Radeon 3870 and the
GeForce 8800GT has the better performance.

Basically I'm getting a motherboard with an X48 chipset, so I'm
leaning towards the Radeon so that in the future I could CrossFire two
3870's rather then buying a completly new card. Tomshardware also
suggests that the Radeon is a far superior card:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts...core,538.html#

(Click "View all products" at the bottom)

However, I went on the 3dMark06 ORB comparison website to check this
for myself. To contradict Tomshardware, this website states that the
GeForce 8800GT is the superior card:

http://www.yougamers.com/hardware/st...ndperformance/

Therefore, I thought I would ask the experts! Which of these two cards
(which are roughly the same price) will be the best card for me as a
reasonabely serious gamer?

Kind Rgeards,

Matt
Old July 20th 08, 03:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Matt

Sorry, missed one thing.

My statement about the Radeon 3870 being superior on Tomshardware was
based on the 8800GT being overclocked to get a score of 6023. Well
that's what I'm assuming "OC" stands for! If I'm mistaken feel free to
correct me

Kind Regards,

Matt
Old July 20th 08, 04:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

A "reasonably serious" gamer would look past these aging chipsets and pick
up a low-priced Radeon 4850. :-)

You are in the UK? 100 GBP for the Powercolor 512MB version:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-089-PC

Old July 20th 08, 05:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Matt

On Jul 20, 4:57*pm, "First of One" wrote:
A "reasonably serious" gamer would look past these aging chipsets and pick
up a low-priced Radeon 4850. :-)

You are in the UK? 100 GBP for the Powercolor 512MB version:http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=GX-089-PC

Am I not risking getting a sub-standard card with a cheap, noisy fan
by buying the lowest price 4850?

Kind Regards,

Matt
Old July 20th 08, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One[_2_]

Nope. This early in the 48xx chipset's lifecycle, the lowest-priced 4850
simply means it uses the reference ATi board design with the reference ATi
cooler. This way the card vendor doesn't incurr any additional engineering
and development expenses.

Old July 20th 08, 06:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
?Utf-8?B?aG9uZXlzYnVubnk=?=

see my comments to you in Nvidia group about 4850 and 4870.
Old July 21st 08, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Matt

On Jul 20, 6:03*pm, "First of One" wrote:
Nope. This early in the 48xx chipset's lifecycle, the lowest-priced 4850
simply means it uses the reference ATi board design with the reference ATi
cooler. This way the card vendor doesn't incurr any additional engineering
and development expenses.

As I can get a top 3870 for £100, is their a decent performance
difference between the 3870 and the 4850 to make it worth my while?

Kind Regards,

Matt
Old July 21st 08, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Carl

The 4850 will be far, far better. Take First of One's word for it, he knows
what he is talking about. A few minutes spent looking up benchmark results
would also confirm this as well. Google is your pal!