[OT] Maplin discounted rechargeables - any good?

Old January 13th 06, 02:21 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors

Default [OT] Maplin discounted rechargeables - any good?

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 16:50:36 GMT, WM
wrote:

Maplin is currently selling its own brand rechargeable batteries at
half price:

four 2000mAh NiMH AA cells at an offer price of £3.99

Is this a good price?

What sort of quality is Maplin's own brand NiMH batteries?

Does anyone know who makes them for Maplin?

they do seem like good value for money. 2000mah should last you at
least a week or more if used in a microsoft intellimouse 12 hours
continues use every day.

i have to say that i bought some for my bike lamp and they were no
good. would go faint after 10 minutes
www.funkyputer.com
Puck
Contact: Please go to website and email through the weblink
Alternative Email: puckfaery@
the rest of the address should be the
email service provided by google.
Old January 13th 06, 08:02 AM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Default Maplin discounted rechargeables - any good?

"Odie Ferrous" wrote in message

four 2000mAh NiMH AA cells at an offer price of £3.99

I'll stick with ....
www.7dayshop.com and their 2300mAH UniRoss
types. I've had some for two or more years with no probs.

Chris.

I agree. Good battery that actually seems to *really* last the 2300mAH
length.

Buy cheap crap, you get cheap crap.

Odie

It seems 7dayshop also do 2600mAh ones.
(but they are not as good as the v.b.n. 2600mAh ones ???)
£6.99 / pack of 4

Extract from the website......
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=100718

"Pack of 4 x 2600 mAh super high capacity rechargeable AA (LR6) batteries."
" These are one of the very best capacity Ni-Mh batteries available today,
excepting the very brand new 2600 mAh !!"

Confused ? - so am I.

Old January 13th 06, 02:41 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu 12 Jan 2006 18:56:59, me wrote:

, I've had some that leaked ~
they went straight in the bin

I have had some silver and red ones for several years, work fine

I think the silver/red ones are NiCd as opposed to NiMH.
Old January 13th 06, 05:50 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Anyone know of some reasonable 15min (uniross sprint ) rechargable
batteries?

--
The Source For Premium Newsgroup Access
Great Speed, Great Retention
Old January 13th 06, 06:19 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

[...]

Seen these which are coming on the market?

http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertex...1/1101-2e.html

Old January 13th 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:06:51 +0000, MPJ wrote:

"WM" wrote in message

[snip]

What sort of quality is Maplin's own brand NiMH batteries?

Does anyone know who makes them for Maplin?

If it's their silver & red Vanson (?) ones, I've had some that leaked ~
they went straight in the bin

Was this during charging, use, or whilst on the shelf? What kind of
charger do you use - smart (with temperature monitoring? fan? -delta V?
independent channels?) or dumb timed/untimed?

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?

Old January 13th 06, 07:32 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"WM" wrote in message
Maplin is currently selling its own brand rechargeable batteries at
half price:

four 2000mAh NiMH AA cells at an offer price of £3.99

Is this a good price?

What sort of quality is Maplin's own brand NiMH batteries?

Does anyone know who makes them for Maplin?

Ebay seller itl-e has an excellent rep in another forum I read and has 4x
AA 2500mAh NiMH rechargeable batteries at £3.99 plus .85p P&P. The
batteries are supposed to be excellent.

Old January 13th 06, 07:41 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

"Alex Butcher" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 17:06:51 +0000, MPJ wrote:

"WM" wrote in message

[snip]

What sort of quality is Maplin's own brand NiMH batteries?

Does anyone know who makes them for Maplin?

If it's their silver & red Vanson (?) ones, I've had some that leaked ~
they went straight in the bin

Was this during charging, use, or whilst on the shelf? What kind of
charger do you use - smart (with temperature monitoring? fan? -delta V?
independent channels?) or dumb timed/untimed?

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher Brainbench MVP for Internet Security: www.brainbench.com
Bristol, UK Need reliable and secure network systems?
PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff http://www.assursys.com/

uniross dumb charger, 2 cells per channel ~ they leaked from the base whilst
on the shelf after about a dozen cycles.

Old January 13th 06, 07:46 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

I had 4 uniross 2300mAh bought on a deal, didn't open the packet for a
year, charged them up, didn't work! not much of a deal :-(

Old January 13th 06, 10:06 PM posted to alt.consumers.uk-discounts.and.bargains,uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.d-i-y

Jackie Green ] said
Minty wrote:
Jackie Green wrote:
MPJ wrote:
"WM" wrote in message
Maplin is currently selling its own brand rechargeable batteries at
half price:

four 2000mAh NiMH AA cells at an offer price of £3.99

Is this a good price?

What sort of quality is Maplin's own brand NiMH batteries?

Does anyone know who makes them for Maplin?

If it's their silver & red Vanson (?) ones, I've had some that
leaked ~ they went straight in the bin

it's the green ones. I just bought a dozen.

I've got both and they seem to be identical except that they've now
branded them Maplin instead on Vanson.

TBH i've never had rechargeables before so i wont know if they're good or
not,lol.

They work fine.