USB Ports Not Work after XP Upgrade - Presario 5140

Old November 9th 05, 04:31 PM
Vortex150

Default USB Ports Not Work after XP Upgrade - Presario 5140

Does Compaq support XP on the Presario 5140? When switched to XP the
USB ports no longer work.

I went to the download Drivers site, and put in the model number and
only shows Windows 98 and Windows 95...

Am I out of luck on this? :crybaby:

Old November 9th 05, 05:58 PM
Ben Myers

It has been customary for HPaq to support only the release of operating system
shipped with the computer originally. This does not mean XP will not work. It
simply means that you are 1000% on your own, with no help ever from HPaq.

Unfortunately, the info on the HPaq web site for your model of computer is
decidedly pathetic. I cannot determine the specs of your computer from the
drivel on the web site.

My strictly wild-ass guess is that the USB chipset on your computer does not
have drivers on the Windows XP install CD. But do not give up. If there is
some way to determine the USB chipset on the motherboard, you may be able to
download XP drivers from elsewhere.

Your other choice is to spend a few more bucks on a USB 2.0 add-in card with
drivers. They are plentiful and cheap... Ben Myers

Old November 9th 05, 11:48 PM
HH

Ben, the USB controller on the 5140 is integrated into the Intel 82371EB
PIIX4-E controller, part of the Intel 440BX chipset. I'm surprised the
drivers are not on the XP install disc. Loading the chipset drivers off the
Intel website should restore USB functionality.

HH

Old November 10th 05, 12:10 AM
X_MAXIMUS_X

My USB Ports work on my 5170. (It uses the same motherboard). email me for
the drivers.

MAXIMUS

Old November 10th 05, 04:32 PM
Vortex150

Default USB Ports Up and Running!

Thanks Guys...Problem Solved...USB ports up and running. All it was
was a bad cable connection to the USB ports. It was weird because the
USB went out of order after the Upgrade to XP...so I assumed it was a
driver.

Anyway sorry for taking anyones time on this, and lesson learned to
check hardware connections first.

Thanks!

PS2 Ports on my Asus A7V-E not work ainx-ok Asus Motherboards 0 June 18th 05 08:16 PM
PS2 Ports on my Asus A7V-E not work ainx-ok Asus Motherboards 0 June 18th 05 08:16 PM
DELL upgrade with Kingston Value RAM - will it work properly stromer General 0 January 31st 04 08:29 AM
presario upgrade king General Hardware 1 December 15th 03 03:30 AM
euro sign dowsn't work on compaq presario jjp General 0 November 22nd 03 07:44 PM