Dimension 8200 recognize drives > 128GB?

Old January 22nd 05, 06:37 AM
Mike Fairleigh

Default Dimension 8200 recognize drives > 128GB?

Hello,

I have a Dimension 8200 desktop, to which I've just added a 160GB secondary
hard drive. To my surprise (the system isn't that old) it only recognized
128GB of the drive. I upgraded the BIOS to A09, but that doesn't seem to
have made any difference. Does anyone know if there's anything else I can
do at the hardware or firmware levels to correct this? I'd prefer not to
use Western Digital's overlay if possible. Thanks for any tips.

--
Mike

Old January 22nd 05, 06:41 AM
Mike Fairleigh

I meant to mention - I'm also out of PCI slots, so an add-in controller card
wouldn't help, either. Thanks again.

--
Mike

Old January 22nd 05, 10:34 AM
HillBillyBuddhist

"Mike Fairleigh" wrote in message
. com...
| Hello,
|
| I have a Dimension 8200 desktop, to which I've just added a 160GB
secondary
| hard drive. To my surprise (the system isn't that old) it only recognized
| 128GB of the drive. I upgraded the BIOS to A09, but that doesn't seem to
| have made any difference. Does anyone know if there's anything else I can
| do at the hardware or firmware levels to correct this? I'd prefer not to
| use Western Digital's overlay if possible. Thanks for any tips.
|
| --
| Mike

Why can I only see 127 to 137 GBytes of my 160+ GB drive in Windows XP?
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...137_winxp.html

I have a drive that is larger than 137 GB but the operating system only
recognizes 128 GB or 137 GB. How can I fix this?

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

http://tinyurl.com/67nwe

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old January 22nd 05, 11:57 AM
Edward J. Neth

Did you also enable large drive support under Windows (either in the
registry or by using WD's utility)?

Old January 22nd 05, 03:48 PM
Timothy Drouillard

I have a WD 250gig in my Dimension 8200 as a second drive, running XP Pro
with no problems at all.

No overlays needed, And I don't remember having to do anything special.

And yes it has the A09 bios if I remember.

Old January 22nd 05, 08:15 PM
Mike Fairleigh

The WD instructions specify to turn on LBA in the BIOS. Neither the A05 nor
the A09 BIOS say anything about LBA, so I don't know how to do that. Can
you point me to the registry settings I'd need to change to enable large
drive support? When you mention WD's utility, as far as I know that's just
an overlay which I'd really like to avoid using if possible. Thanks for
your help and taking the time to reply on this problem.

--
Mike

Old January 22nd 05, 08:17 PM
Mike Fairleigh

What a mystery. I should've mentioned that I'm running Win2K, SP4. Maybe
there's something in XP that's missing in win2k for large drive support??

--
Mike

Old January 22nd 05, 08:43 PM
Mike Fairleigh

Hey HB,

I saw a couple of other replies and responded to them before I saw yours.
THANK YOU! The Maxtor utility (BigDriveEnabler) did the trick. It seems
like those two registry keys should have been updated when I applied SP3 or
SP4. Anyway, it's all good now. Thanks again, and thanks to everyone else
who replied.

--
Mike

news:8%pId.48155 Why can I only see 127 to 137 GBytes of my 160+ GB drive

Old January 22nd 05, 10:00 PM
Ben Myers

Personally, I also like the Intel Application Accelerator (IAA) solution as
explained on the Maxtor web site. IAA works with any Intel chipset motherboard
with 810 or later chipset, so it should work on just about any Dell. (IAA works
just fine on any Dell where I've installed it.) Of course, the problem would
still be a chicken-and-egg one, because one would need to install the OS on the
large drive, then install IAA, which provides LBA access. Leave it to Microsoft
to continually fall short in handling hard drive capacities in its operating
systems. They've been doing it since DOS 2.1. Now, Linux has NO PROBLEM
accessing large capacity hard drives, even when the motherboard BIOS is
limited... Ben Myers

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 10:34:44 GMT, "HillBillyBuddhist"
wrote:

"Mike Fairleigh" wrote in message
.com...
| Hello,
|
| I have a Dimension 8200 desktop, to which I've just added a 160GB
secondary
| hard drive. To my surprise (the system isn't that old) it only recognized
| 128GB of the drive. I upgraded the BIOS to A09, but that doesn't seem to
| have made any difference. Does anyone know if there's anything else I can
| do at the hardware or firmware levels to correct this? I'd prefer not to
| use Western Digital's overlay if possible. Thanks for any tips.
|
| --
| Mike

Why can I only see 127 to 137 GBytes of my 160+ GB drive in Windows XP?
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/di...137_winxp.html

I have a drive that is larger than 137 GB but the operating system only
recognizes 128 GB or 137 GB. How can I fix this?

http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/m...YWdlPTE*&p_li=

http://tinyurl.com/67nwe

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Replacement Hard Drive Dimension 8200 Jim Fell Dell Computers 9 November 2nd 04 10:41 PM
Dimension HDD 8200 size John J. Burness Dell Computers 4 October 29th 04 01:21 AM
Dimension 8200 RAM type to add William Regan Dell Computers 13 July 10th 04 02:50 AM
Dimension 8200 Dot Dell Computers 5 May 23rd 04 11:55 AM
Drives Larger than 137GB on Dell Dimension 8100 Fallon Dell Computers 0 July 4th 03 06:26 PM