need 3 drive ribbon cable

Old May 5th 04, 03:21 AM
DEJ57

This group has tried to answer my question but can not....

Yes, the group has been quite polite in providing an answer--you just don't
like the answer. I vote with the others--I don't think more than two IDE on a
channel will work, but never having tried it, and being of rather limited
knowledge and experience, I'll not say its impossible. But I've never seen a
four connector IDE ribbon data cable (SCSI, yes, but not IDE). And I can't
imagine mixing floppy and IDE cables. If a four connector IDE exists it should
be easy to find doing a Goggle search--so search there rather than insult this
group. And I know of a local cable fabricator that could make one for you if
you insist--but I'd bet its a waste of your money.

Dale
Old May 5th 04, 03:33 AM
Impmon

On Tue, 4 May 2004 21:19:47 -0400, "tele64"
wrote:

you're wrong.

Are you sure? Unless your son uses SCSI setup and has SCSI disk drive
(is there such thing as internal SCSI floppy drive??), there is no way
a floppy drive and hard drive can be on the same cable. Take another
look, maybe it only appeared to be one cable is in fact 2 cables
positioned close together so to fool some nOObs like you.

Better yet, prove you're right by taking picture oif his computer and
posting it so we could look for ourselves.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Old May 5th 04, 04:53 AM
Steve W.

Here is a simple question for you. What make and model is this computer?

--
Steve Williams

"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
This group has tried to answer my question but can not....

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Never on any computer I've seen since 1981. Perhaps a very, very,

very,
very special model.

For a standard IDE controller, two is the limit. Now pretty much

every
motherboard has two controllers. so two cables = four devices.

Tom
"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Yes possible....

"Steve W." wrote in message
Not possible considering the floppy uses a smaller cable and

connector
than the other two drives.

--
Steve Williams

"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
HH, I don't get it....my nephew has 3 drives connected; 2 CDRW

drives
and
one floppy.....all with one ribbon cable!

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

"tele64" wrote in message
. ..
Where can I buy a 3 drive (plus the motherboard connect)

40Pin
ribbon
cable?

thanks in advance,

tele64

http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the

World!

Old May 5th 04, 09:38 AM
NuT CrAcKeR

See, mr teletubbie64 ...

Actually, there is 1 way, and possilby 2, to get a floppy drive to work on a
40pin IDE cable, and controller.

The first that I am absolutely positive of ... is if that drive is an LS120
drive. While not strictly a floppy drive, it will do 1.44 floppies, and
120M disks. To the neophyte, the LS120 can easily be mistaken for a floppy
from just looking at the outside of the computer. It runs on the IDE ribbon
cable. I can provide pictures for those who have not seen them... I am using
2 of them in my computers now.

The second, and this one I am not sure about because I have never done it,
would be if that 'floppy" drive was actually a Zip drive. I am not sure
about the old Zip 100, but I do know that the Zip 250 comes in an ATAPI
(read as IDE) model Again, it would be utter ignorance to confuse the two.

Based on those two exceptions, as they are by no means "standard" equipment
on most consumer models of machines, we can see where a device that could
even remotely be mistaken for a floppy disk could rightfully be found on a
40pin cable.

(anyone that thinks this guy is a superstar should check the
a.s.pc-clone.compaq.servers group... I kill filed this genius.)

LC (aka NuTs)

. ..

"HH" wrote in message
You cannot. Only 2 drives per IDE controller.
HH

. ..

Old May 5th 04, 05:08 PM
Impmon

On Wed, 5 May 2004 03:38:04 -0500, "NuT CrAcKeR"
wrote:

Based on those two exceptions, as they are by no means "standard" equipment
on most consumer models of machines, we can see where a device that could
even remotely be mistaken for a floppy disk could rightfully be found on a
40pin cable.

I'm still pretty sure you can't have more than 2 IDE drives to the
same cable. So even if it was an LS120 or Zip drive, 3 isn't quite
possible.

FWIW there are 2 versions of 100MB Zip drive. The original one used
nonstandard design and required special driver to make it work and the
newer version used standard IDE protocol and can work.
--
To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
Old May 5th 04, 06:01 PM
Jason Bowen

You are correct, you can only connect two devices per cable. He
probably saw a scsi cable.

Old May 5th 04, 10:42 PM
NuT CrAcKeR

My post was not to suggest that there were 3 devices on an IDE cable, but
was made to show 2 possible inaccurate interpretations of floppy drives on
an IDE cable. Call it splitting hairs, but it seems like a signicicant
difference to me.

LC

Old May 9th 04, 04:02 AM
tele64

Sir, I did not insult anyone until any I received an insult. I asked a
simple question and not one person directed me to the "real" answer. An IDE
card....

Old May 9th 04, 11:24 AM
HH

Uh, an IDE card will not allow 3 drives on a cable any more than your
onboard IDE controller will, so in actuality, it is not an answer either.
Also, many PCs and their OSs react strangely to any more than 4 IDE devices
total.
Dale was politely making a good point.
HH

Old May 9th 04, 03:32 PM
Tom Scales

Show us the "first insult".

The PCI card will not allow three either.

Tom

"DEJ57" wrote in message
[...]

how to test psu and reset to cmos to default Tanya General 23 February 7th 05 10:56 AM
"Failure Imminent" should i continue? Lindsay Asus Motherboards 3 July 11th 04 06:45 PM
Help... Gene Puhl Homebuilt PC's 3 April 10th 04 02:16 AM
Help needed: problem installing XP on new system GJ General 26 March 1st 04 11:04 PM
isolating new clone drive for 1st bootup Timothy Daniels General 86 February 29th 04 04:37 PM