Is Celeron a bad choice for a notebook processor?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 18th 03, 09:43 PM
John

Default Is Celeron a bad choice for a notebook processor?

Hi,

If I want an Intel based notebook I think these are my options:

1. Celeron
2. Pentium 4
3. Mobile Pentium 4
4. Pentium M

It seems like a Mobile Pentium 4 or Pentium M is substantially more
expensive than a Celeron or Pentium 4. I assume this is because of the
lower heat and increased battery life of the Mobile Pentium 4 and
Pentium M?

I'm thinking about picking up an Inspiron 1100 for the wife. She
leaves it plugged in almost all the time so battery life is not really
an issue. When she does take it in the car, I have an inverter that
will power it.

So what's the difference between a Celeron and a Pentium 4 in a
laptop? The Pentium 4 seems to be roughly $100 more.

It seems like there are a lot of Inspiron 1100's on Ebay. Brand new.
Is there something wrong with them?

She has an Inspiron 3800 which has NEVER held a charge for more than
an hour (even when it was brand new). Am I stupid for given Dell
another chance to give me a bad product?

Thanks!
John