Netapp NDMP configuration issues

Old April 9th 07, 05:07 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Mike

Default Netapp NDMP configuration issues

Hello,

For some reason, one of my filers has "cut" version of ndmpd. I can't
run any backups because of that. Just take a look...

nap8* ndmpd
usage: ndmpd [on|off|status|probe [session #]|kill session #|
killall|version [?|max_version]]
where max_version is the highest ndmp version (in the range
of 1 to 4) allowed by the filer.

As you see here, there is no password option.

For example, his partner, nap7, has full set of options available...

nap7* ndmpd
usage: ndmpd [on|off|status|probe [session #]|kill session #|
killall|
password [username]|version [?|max_version]]
where max_version is the highest ndmp version (in the range
of 1 to 4) allowed by the filer.

that's the options output for ndmpd:

nap8* options ndmpd
ndmpd.access all
ndmpd.authtype challenge
ndmpd.connectlog.enabled off
ndmpd.enable on
ndmpd.ignore_ctime.enabled off
ndmpd.offset_map.enable on
ndmpd.password_length 16
ndmpd.preferred_interface disable (value might be overwritten in
takeover)

All backups failed. Netbackup 6 error code is 99. "ndmpd backup failed
for /vol/vol0", no extra information is available..

Any ideas?

Mike

Old April 10th 07, 02:52 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On 9 Apr 2007 09:07:30 -0700, "Mike" wrote:

[...]

IIRC versions of NBU before 5.something did not do challenge auth.
Try changing it to "plaintext".

Did you recently upgrade NBU or Ontap? Also enable the connect log
for more details.

~F
Old April 12th 07, 02:45 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
hsing

On Apr 9, 6:52 pm, Faeandar wrote:
[...]

~F- Hide quoted text -

The file /vol/vol0/etc/java/netapp.zip on filer nap8 is old. You need
to update the file.

Old April 17th 07, 03:53 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Mike

It was old. I just copied file from the different netapp running the
same DataOnTap.
Nothing changed. Do I miss something?

Mike

Old April 17th 07, 10:12 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
hsing

It can be too old and that is why you do not see "password" in the
command usage. The one with "password" description is newer and may
have some bug fixes. NetApp NDMP Server is done in Java, and the
execution image is in netapp.zip. You can copy the file from nap7 and
reboot the filer nap8.

On Apr 11, 9:45 pm, "hsing" wrote:

[...]

to update the file.- Hide quoted text -

Old April 18th 07, 04:48 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Mike

Is there any other way than reboot a filer? That's live one and that's
one I don't have backup for...

Mike

Old April 19th 07, 11:57 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
hsing

Reboot is the only way to update ndmp executable image. Since it is a
live system, it is better to find out what is wrong with the ndmp
backup.
You may need to ask NetApp customer support for help. If a ndmp log
can be generated, NetApp may be able to tell why ndmp backup fails on
nap8.

Do nap7 and nap8 have the same setting for ndmpd options?

Hsing