Immediate charging of credit card - even though goods on back order.

Old July 13th 03, 08:34 PM
Peter Parry

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:59:55 +0100, Tim Puffett
wrote:

which CC rules are these?

The contract between the retailer and the bank supplying them with
the credit card machine. A pretty much standard condition of
provision for years has been that goods are not charged to the card
until ready for dispatch.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/
Old July 13th 03, 09:38 PM
Tim Puffett

In article , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

which CC rules are these?

The contract between the retailer and the bank supplying them with
the credit card machine. A pretty much standard condition of
provision for years has been that goods are not charged to the card
until ready for dispatch.

When I spoke to both Barclaycard and Natwest Mastercard neither knew
anything about this, spoke to senior supervisors too. Could well be an
urban myth.

--
Tim Puffett
Old July 13th 03, 09:56 PM
nigel. carron

In message , Baffie
writes
I know this has been discussed here before, vendors charging
immediately even though they know they can't deliver for a couple of
weeks (just happened to me)

Name and shame? Else whats point of post??

--
njc AKA (Paypal & nochex e-mail)
Old July 13th 03, 09:57 PM
Tim Puffett

In article , Jaime
writes

which CC rules are these?

The contract between the retailer and the bank supplying them with
the credit card machine. A pretty much standard condition of
provision for years has been that goods are not charged to the card
until ready for dispatch.

When I spoke to both Barclaycard and Natwest Mastercard neither knew
anything about this, spoke to senior supervisors too. Could well be an
urban myth.

I would have thought some such agreement existed otherwise the cc company
becomes a creditor of the company making the transaction, thus the cc
company would wish to cover themselves if the company went into liquidation.

You would think so, but try asking 'em!

--
Tim Puffett
Old July 14th 03, 04:26 PM
Mark Robinson

Tim Puffett wrote:

When I spoke to both Barclaycard and Natwest Mastercard neither knew
anything about this, spoke to senior supervisors too. Could well be an
urban myth.

It's not an urban myth as far as HSBC merchant services are concerned.

Cheers

mark-r

--
For all things inspection: http://www.infact-holdings.com/
For all things needleworky: http://www.tandem-cottage.co.uk/
Old July 14th 03, 06:52 PM
Tim Puffett

In article , Mark Robinson
writes

Tim Puffett wrote:

When I spoke to both Barclaycard and Natwest Mastercard neither knew
anything about this, spoke to senior supervisors too. Could well be an
urban myth.

It's not an urban myth as far as HSBC merchant services are concerned.

Speaking as a consumer, my enquiries of both Barclaycard and Mastercard
(Natwest) drew complete blanks from the initial droid I spoke to,
followed by a supervisor then someone senior to them. No-one had even
heard of the concept. Maybe I just got unlucky with who I talked to.

--
Tim Puffett
Old July 14th 03, 07:56 PM
Paul Hopwood

Tim Puffett wrote:

which CC rules are these?

The contract between the retailer and the bank supplying them with
the credit card machine. A pretty much standard condition of
provision for years has been that goods are not charged to the card
until ready for dispatch.

When I spoke to both Barclaycard and Natwest Mastercard neither knew
anything about this, spoke to senior supervisors too. Could well be an
urban myth.

Are you a merchant? If so you'll have a merchant agreement which
forms the contract between yourself and your provider; it will be in
there.

I'm pretty sure the one I saw for Barclaycard has a clause to that
effect. Would be pretty daft of them not to considering the Consumer
Credit Act gives them joint liability from the moment a credit card is
charged.

--
iv Paul iv

[ Mail: ]
[ WWW:
http://www.hopwood.org.uk/ ]
Old July 15th 03, 01:28 PM
Mark Robinson

Tim Puffett wrote:

heard of the concept. Maybe I just got unlucky with who I talked to.

You might be right - as others have said, the card issuer could stand to
lose real money if a retailer flouts this rule and subsequently goes
bust, so you'd think they'd want to promote it as widely as possible.

Perhaps the confusion arose because as a consumer you deal with a card
issuer (Barclays, NatWest, Tesco, Egg, ...) and as a retailer you deal
with a merchant services provider (NatWest Streamline, HSBC MS,
WorldPay, ...): it is the merchant provider agreement that contains
the rule.

Cheers

mark-r