A7N8X-VM Radeon 9600XT - No video - No beep

Old February 9th 04, 10:04 PM
bmonteen

Default A7N8X-VM Radeon 9600XT - No video - No beep

About 5 months ago I built a system using the A7N8X-VM and used the
on-board video with no issues. To improve game performance I just
bought a Radeon 9600XT (Gigabyte GV-R96X128D). Before installing I
checked the bios for options to disable on-board video, but found no
such option. From what I could tell it looked like it should find the
new AGP card automatically. After installing the new card, the
computer will power on (all fans, hard drives, cd-roms, even the blue
LED build into video card) but there is no video and no bios beeps. I
checked for video on both the on-board output and the new card,
nothing. If I remove the new card the computer will work fine. I
tried resetting the bios but nothing changed. I checked the new card
in another computer (no on-board video) and it worked find. I tried
unplugging all the drives and just powered the on the motherboard,
memory, and video card. Still no-video and no-beep. There are some
settings in the bios that refer to the on-board video, but I have
tried every combination I can think of and none directly say that this
will disable the on-board video. There are only four jumpers on the
MB and all of them have nothing to do with the on-board video. I also
tried an other older agp card and had the same result.

Any Ideas? Has anyone used this MB with this or other video card? If
so, what bios settings were used?

Thanks
Bjorn
Old February 9th 04, 11:53 PM
Guardian

"bmonteen" wrote in message
m...
About 5 months ago I built a system using the A7N8X-VM and used the
on-board video with no issues. To improve game performance I just
bought a Radeon 9600XT (Gigabyte GV-R96X128D). Before installing I

Do you have any other cards installed in any of the PCI slots? If so, have
you tried removing those also to see if the video works. I looked over the
manual for your motherboard (downloaded from ASUS) and it seems that you are
correct.... there are no jumpers concerning video and the AGP should be
recognized automatically... aside from removing all (if any) cards from any
other slots to see if you get video, it sounds as if maybe the AGP slot is
bad. Have you checked the AGP slot to be sure there's no dust or other
foreign object inside of it?