Nero Express and WinXP Problem

Old January 20th 05, 02:42 PM

Default Nero Express and WinXP Problem

I just got a new machine with WinXPHome on it and installed my copy of
Nero Express. When I try to burn an MP3 CD (or anything else for that
matter) it appears that Nero is forced to burn an image and then WinXP
tells me that there are files to burn and WinXP does the burning. This
yields an unreadable MP3 cd. Nero shows a CD-RW drive (it's actually a
Benq 1610 DVD RW drive) but never seems to be able to connect to it
directly, it's always forced to create an image which XP then burns.

Is there a way to prevent XP from doing this and get Nero to
communicate directly with the drive??

Thanks,

RQ

Old January 20th 05, 02:57 PM

Doing several more searches here I guess disabling IMAPI in WinXP will
likely solve my problem. Will doing this have any negative consequences
on any other software?

Old January 20th 05, 03:14 PM
Graham Mayor

Is this the version of Nero supplied with the writer? It sounds to me as
though this is an OEM version of Nero Express that was supplied with a
different writer. OEM versions of Nero will only work with the writers they
are supplied with (unless you register the application with Nero and obtain
a new serial). Use the software that was supplied with the new machine.

--

Graham Mayor

Old January 20th 05, 04:45 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Is this the version of Nero supplied with the writer? It sounds to me as
though this is an OEM version of Nero Express that was supplied with a
different writer. OEM versions of Nero will only work with the writers
they
are supplied with (unless you register the application with Nero and
obtain
a new serial). Use the software that was supplied with the new machine.

--

Graham Mayor

Actually, Graham, there is such a product as OEM Nero Express (v6) that is
limited to the OEM feature set, but is not limited to seeing only one drive
make/model. I have the product, purchased at a local computer show about a
year ago. I have used it with five different burners from four different
vendors (Lite-On, Sony, Pioneer and AOpen) so I'm pretty confident in this
assertion. It came with a serial that permits use with different drives, no
contact with Nero was required.
I agree that *most* OEM versions are tied to a particular drive, and that
the symptoms described by the OP sound like the software is not detecting
the burner at all, thus forcing the image burn.
Perhaps the OP will clarify the situation.

Peter

Old January 20th 05, 06:07 PM

Yes, it was supplied with my old drive (a TDK 5200B) and is likely an
OEM version. I'll check on my machine for any new programs that came
with the drive (I recall some InterVideo apps but only aimed at DVD I
think.)
Nero does show the drive but it is listed just as a cd-rw drive (with
no mfg. name or no recognition that it is a DVD-RW driver either). To
clarify, does registering it with Nero mean that I have to purchase it?
I only really use it to create MP3 cd's for my car. I might just rather
use a freeware utility like CDEx to do the burning if that's the case.

Old January 21st 05, 07:03 AM
Graham Mayor

Peter van der Goes wrote:
[...]

Nero releases are all the same so an OEM will have the same files as the
full version of the same release, but the OEM restriction is implemented by
the serial number. If you have purchased an OEM from a computer fair with a
full serial then it seems likely that the serial in question is a 'stolen'
serial. Nero does not sell OEM's on this basis.

--

Graham Mayor

Old January 21st 05, 07:08 AM
Graham Mayor

To convert an OEM of Nero to a full version you have to buy the serial from
Nero.
If all you want is to prepare audio discs then a freeware app is probably as
good a way as any to proceed. Does CDex have a write function? It's a long
time since I tried it. If you find it doesn't want to work through lack of
ASPI on your new XP machine, copy the wnaspi32.dll from the Nero disc or
folder into the CDex folder.

--

Graham Mayor

Old January 21st 05, 12:13 PM
Peter van der Goes

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message

Nero releases are all the same so an OEM will have the same files as the
full version of the same release, but the OEM restriction is implemented
by
the serial number. If you have purchased an OEM from a computer fair with
full serial then it seems likely that the serial in question is a 'stolen'
serial. Nero does not sell OEM's on this basis.

--

Graham Mayor

I may have used the term "OEM" ill-advisedly. It would be more accurate to
say the product I purchased was simply a CD (not CDR) in a sleeve. I'm able
to use the serial with downloaded upgrades even though Ahead is allegedly
quite diligent about ferreting out and invalidating "stolen" serials. At the
risk of causing myself some trouble and (possibly) expense, I think I'll
contact Nero and see how they react. I see this product for sale routinely
from multiple vendors at shows and online from supposedly reputable vendors
(CDW, for example - I realize it's license only, but this is supposedly for
the full Ultra while mine is Express, for US $24.04),

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...spx?EDC=587787

so I'm now very curious.

All this aside, I see the OP has returned to tell us that the software can
see the drive, so I guess the point is moot.

Peter

Old January 21st 05, 12:21 PM
Peter van der Goes

wrote in message
ups.com...
Yes, it was supplied with my old drive (a TDK 5200B) and is likely an
OEM version. I'll check on my machine for any new programs that came
with the drive (I recall some InterVideo apps but only aimed at DVD I
think.)
Nero does show the drive but it is listed just as a cd-rw drive (with
no mfg. name or no recognition that it is a DVD-RW driver either). To
clarify, does registering it with Nero mean that I have to purchase it?
I only really use it to create MP3 cd's for my car. I might just rather
use a freeware utility like CDEx to do the burning if that's the case.

If your Nero sees the drive as a writer, you *should* be able to use it
successfully. Lack of recognition as a DVD writer may simply be a version
issue.
Looking back over the thread, I see we never did establish exactly which
version of Nero you have. If it's 5.5.something, you may be able to download
and install the latest available version to solve your problem. If I recall
correctly, at a certain point in the history of v5.5, DVD writing
capabilities were added.
Look here for the latest if your situation is as I've guessed.

http://www.nero.com/us/Update_Nero_Burning_ROM.html

The newest is v5.5.10.56

Hope this helps.

Old January 21st 05, 03:23 PM

I forgot to check the exact version number last night at home. In the
meantime I took the advice posted earlier and checked my machine for
any software that came with the installed drive and found Sonic
RecordNow on my desktop. I had already used WMP10 to make the mp3 files
and used RecordNow to burn it. It plays in the car no problem. I would
like a single app solution but I don't think that CDEx actually does
burn (though I haven't installed it yet). WMP10 is quite simple for
ripping my audio CD's to mp3 format, but I've read that it can't burn
an MP3 disc. It retrieves all the track info and lets me format the
filenames so I guess I'll stick with WMP10+RecordNow for the time
being. That is unless anyone here has a better solution.
Thanks for all your input.

RQ

Nero Express 5.5 and TDK 5200B Patty Cdr 7 September 2nd 04 03:49 AM
Nero 5.5 not burning? BobK Cdr 7 May 17th 04 03:01 AM
Three "Bad" CD-RW Drives In A Row!!! What to try Next? Jeff R. Cdr 3 July 15th 03 04:43 AM