XPS M1330 laptop Black Screens

Old July 13th 13, 03:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default XPS M1330 laptop Black Screens

On Wednesday, July 10, 2013 8:41:33 PM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ben Myers" pointed out:

Per my earlier post, if you still have a working laptop with an nVidia chip in it,

run (DO NOT WALK!) to get the MSI Afterburner. Install it, and set the speeds

to the slowest possible.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

nVidia graphics chips have been chronic overheating for a number of years.

I have replaced a number of failed nVidia graphics cards in desktops after they

began displaying strange artifacts on screen. It does not help that nVidia licenses

its card design to almost any manufacturer and that the cooling fans are often

substandard.

Yes, there was a class action lawsuit against nVidia for its failed graphics in Dell,

HP, and Apple laptops. You did not hear about it? That's because the suit was

not publicized in the press and you had 90 days from settlement to file a claim.

Whoever does the hardware design for Dell's laptops, they are generally pretty

good. It's just that the choice of nVidia is godawful. This will not change. Only

three mainstream graphics chip companies remain: AMD (they bought ATI), nVidia,

and Intel. nVidia will continue to have undeserved design wins.

Your best bet for survival with a nVidia chip laptop is to UNDERCLOCK the graphics.

No absolute promises, but better odds, anyway... Ben Myers

That sounds like good advice, but I'm past that stage - the nVidia chip is caput,

and if I choose to repair the laptop, I'll need a new mobo. Sooo, in your experience,

Ben, does the Intel integrated graphics performance good enough to watch Youtube,

do video conferencing, display Visual Studio and SQL Server diagrams? That is the

most demand that I'd put on graphics since I don't play any video games at all.

*TimDaniels*

One more thing. Just weeks after the brain-dead nVidia class action lawsuit deadline, I "replaced" the nVidia graphics in the M-series laptop of a panic-stricken neighbor with his entire life on the computer and not backed up. I simply bought the Intel graphics version of the same M-series on eBay, swapped over the hard drive from the dead nVidia junk, maxed out the memory, and installed the Intel graphics drivers. Cost him nearly $400 at the time, but it was well worth it for him. He has been happily using the system ever since... Ben
Old July 13th 13, 07:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Ben Myers" replied:
Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ben Myers" pointed out:

Your best bet for survival with a nVidia chip laptop is to
UNDERCLOCK the graphics.
No absolute promises, but better odds, anyway...
Ben Myers

That sounds like good advice, but I'm past that stage - the
nVidia chip is caput, and if I choose to repair the laptop, I'll
need a new mobo. Sooo, in your experience, Ben, does the
Intel integrated graphics performance good enough to watch
Youtube, do video conferencing, display Visual Studio and
SQL Server diagrams? That is the most demand that I'd put
on graphics since I don't play any video games at all.

*TimDaniels*

Intel's integrated graphics performance is good enough for most
non-gaming activities.
I keep wanting to pry my wife's old single core Thinkpad T43 from
her hands and replace it with something more modern. She resists,
watches YouTube, movies, etc, and the T43 graphics are anything but
advanced and lightning quick.
The modern Intel graphics are really just fine for most of us...
Ben Myers

Thanks for that observation. In my next laptop, I'll go for lower
power usage, lower temps, and longer life via integrated graphics.
The SSD that I salvage from the M1330 should help with the lower
power and lower temps, too. What I read in the latest PCWorld
indicates that the Haswell chips with integrated graphics will be
good enough for moderate gaming as well.

*TimDaniels*

Old July 13th 13, 08:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Ben Myers" added:
One more thing. Just weeks after the brain-dead nVidia class action
lawsuit deadline, I "replaced" the nVidia graphics in the M-series laptop
of a panic-stricken neighbor with his entire life on the computer and
not backed up. I simply bought the Intel graphics version of the same
M-series on eBay, swapped over the hard drive from the dead nVidia junk,
maxed out the memory, and installed the Intel graphics drivers. Cost
him nearly $400 at the time, but it was well worth it for him. He has
been happily using the system ever since... Ben

Hmmm... I wonder if used laptop motherboards are available.
A new M1330 motherboard with the integrated graphics chip
costs between $400 and $600, depending on which Dell "support"
person you speak to. The spare parts department must be a major
profit center for Dell considering the markup.

*TimDaniels*

Old July 13th 13, 08:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Timothy Daniels" Hmmmed:
Hmmm... I wonder if used laptop motherboards are available.
A new M1330 motherboard with the integrated graphics chip
costs between $400 and $600, depending on which Dell "support"
person you speak to. The spare parts department must be a major
profit center for Dell considering the markup.

*TimDaniels*

It looks like spare motherboards for the M1330 has been a
cottage industry for the past 3 or 4 years, although some places
are out-of-stock now. The Intel integrated chip version of the
mobo requires a fan/heatsink assembly that is different from
that for the nVidia chip version, but the Intel fan/heatsink goes
for around $25 used. A used mobo might be the way to go
until I can afford a new laptop.

*TimDaniels*
Old July 15th 13, 04:39 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Saturday, July 13, 2013 3:20:48 PM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Timothy Daniels" Hmmmed:

Hmmm... I wonder if used laptop motherboards are available.

A new M1330 motherboard with the integrated graphics chip

costs between $400 and $600, depending on which Dell "support"

person you speak to. The spare parts department must be a major

profit center for Dell considering the markup.

*TimDaniels*

It looks like spare motherboards for the M1330 has been a

cottage industry for the past 3 or 4 years, although some places

are out-of-stock now. The Intel integrated chip version of the

mobo requires a fan/heatsink assembly that is different from

that for the nVidia chip version, but the Intel fan/heatsink goes

for around $25 used. A used mobo might be the way to go

until I can afford a new laptop.

*TimDaniels*

Let me suggest another possibility that I have used with other dead Dell laptops with nVidia graphics. According to the Dell web site, the motherboard chipset in the XPS M1330 is Intel Express GM 965 (Intel graphics) or PM 965 (nVidia graphics). In effect, are one and the same as seen by Microsoft Windows.

Other Dell laptops with the 965 chipset include the Latitude D830 (wide 15" screen) and Latitude D630 (old-style 14" screen). These systems are selling very cheaply right now, but make sure you get one with INTEL graphics, or you are very likely to be back in the nVidia soup again. Move the hard drive from the M1330 to the Latitude D630/D830. Make sure the memory is the same amount as in the M1330. Now boot up the D630/D830. Voila! It boots.. Now install the Intel 965 graphics driver and maybe drivers for the Ethernet, wifi, modem and audio. All you would be giving up are the webcam and the sexy look of the XPS M1330 and maybe an LED monitor. Windows won't even whimper at the change or require activation.

There are other Dell laptop models that also use the Intel 865 chipset among the Precision, Inspiron and Vostro brand names. But Latitudes are pretty solid beasts. The equivalent Precision model is, too... Ben Myers
Old July 16th 13, 05:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Ben Myers" suggested:
Timothy Daniels wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the informed suggestion, Ben, but with me looks count
and I bought the M1330 partly for the LED-illuminated screen. I tend
to get attached to my stuff as well, and even substituting new for
original parts makes me groan. (The term "Frankenstein" always comes
to mind.)

I'm leaning toward replacing the current motherboard with the nVidia
chip with a used motherboard having the Intel chip. But I understand that
this will require replacing the heat sink, as well, with one designed for the
Intel chip. In the M1330, the graphics chip is thermally bonded to the
heat pipe via a thermal pad, and the local PC hardware retail store (Fry's)
doesn't carry thermal padding material. Do you know if just thermal
"paste", such as Arctic Silver 5, would suffice in this setup? Even a very
good Youtube tutorial on replacing the M1330's motherboard skips over
the thermal bonding step, and it appears that the subject might be
controversial.

*TimDaniels*

Old July 19th 13, 08:03 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 12:20:56 PM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ben Myers" suggested:

Timothy Daniels wrote:

[...]

It's way easier to replace the motherboard with one already in the chassis, with heat sink attached. That's what I often do. It's worth spending a couple of bucks more to eliminate the tedium and exacting work of motherboard removal. Or maybe I am simply lazy... Ben
Old July 19th 13, 11:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Ben Myers" wrote:
It's way easier to replace the motherboard with one already in the chassis,
with heat sink attached. That's what I often do. It's worth spending a couple
of bucks more to eliminate the tedium and exacting work of motherboard
removal. Or maybe I am simply lazy... Ben

If that is an argument to simply buy a more reliable used laptop, I'm
on a tight budget, and I'd welcome the experience (and bragging rights)
of switching the mobo and changing the heat pipe. I also get attached
to my things, and I like the size and "feel" of the M1330. I just wish that
I had gone with the Intel graphics chip instead of the nVidia. Judging by
the interest in "reflowing" and the "oven fix" for dead nVidia chips, a lot
of other people probably wish the same thing.

*TimDaniels*

Old July 22nd 13, 02:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Friday, July 19, 2013 6:16:42 PM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ben Myers" wrote:

It's way easier to replace the motherboard with one already in the chassis,

with heat sink attached. That's what I often do. It's worth spending a couple

of bucks more to eliminate the tedium and exacting work of motherboard

removal. Or maybe I am simply lazy... Ben

If that is an argument to simply buy a more reliable used laptop, I'm

on a tight budget, and I'd welcome the experience (and bragging rights)

of switching the mobo and changing the heat pipe. I also get attached

to my things, and I like the size and "feel" of the M1330. I just wish that

I had gone with the Intel graphics chip instead of the nVidia. Judging by

the interest in "reflowing" and the "oven fix" for dead nVidia chips, a lot

of other people probably wish the same thing.

*TimDaniels*

Check prices on used-for-repair vs a naked motherboard. Attaching a heat sink/pipe is an easy task... Ben
Old July 22nd 13, 04:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Ben Myers" wrote:
Check prices on used-for-repair vs a naked motherboard.
Attaching a heat sink/pipe is an easy task... Ben

Please excuse my density, but a "used-for-repair" what?
According to your 2nd sentence, whatever it is will not have
a heat sink/pipe attached. What I anticipated buying was
a motherboard with Intel graphics chip, and I'd also buy a
used heat sink/pipe meant for that pairin, and I'd attach it.
So could you elaborate?

*TimDaniels*