New build problem. System freezes/reboots

Old December 29th 03, 09:49 PM
iplomŽ

Default New build problem. System freezes/reboots

Hello:

I've built several machines over the years but haven't encountered this
problem befo

System:

ASUS A7N8X-X
2500 Barton
ATI Radeon 64MB (7200 I Believe?)
256MB KingMax RAM
WD 80GB HDD
350 WATT P/S
LG DVD PLayer

I've installed XP Pro and after re-starting , the system will work for
about 30 Seconds before freezing up and automatically re-booting.

After the re-boot Windows XP declared it has recovered from a fatal
error.
It said something after the reboot about the ATI card. But I switched vid
cards and still have the same problem.
System will freeze after 30secs and then re-boot itself. I'm kind of
stumped on this.

Any suggestions?

TIA!!
Old December 29th 03, 10:14 PM
philo

"iplomŽ" wrote in message
[...]

Try clocking it down to see what happens

also...run a RAM test

Old December 29th 03, 10:59 PM
Shawk

"iplomŽ" wrote in message
[...]

Did the vid card work in its previous system? What happens in those 1st 30
seconds? Does it auto detect your hardware or does it fail prior to that?
Is the card (and everything else) seated properly?

Old December 29th 03, 11:18 PM
iplomŽ

Shawk wrote:
Did the vid card work in its previous system? What happens in those
1st 30 seconds? Does it auto detect your hardware or does it fail
prior to that? Is the card (and everything else) seated properly?

The system appears to be working fine before it freezes [in the first 30
seconds]. There is no autodetection happening. I've re-seated the card and
plan on the same for the memory. I'll check the CPU as well.

Old December 30th 03, 03:48 AM
iplomŽ

OK, solved!

It turns out it was the ATI display drivers that XP used by default.

The video card is a 64MB Radeon 7200. Once I downloaded and installed the
newer drivers, the system became stable.

I would never have thought such a problem could have been caused by XP.

Old December 30th 03, 09:57 AM
Shawk

"iplomŽ" wrote in message
OK, solved!

It turns out it was the ATI display drivers that XP used by default.

The video card is a 64MB Radeon 7200. Once I downloaded and installed the
newer drivers, the system became stable.

I would never have thought such a problem could have been caused by XP.

Nice one - glad its sorted.

Old December 30th 03, 12:11 PM
Billy_Bat

"iplomŽ" wrote in message
OK, solved!

It turns out it was the ATI display drivers that XP used by default.

The video card is a 64MB Radeon 7200. Once I downloaded and installed the
newer drivers, the system became stable.

I would never have thought such a problem could have been caused by XP.

uhhh, you mean ATI G

--
Good Luck!
BB

Old December 30th 03, 01:17 PM
Strontium

-
Billy_Bat stood up at show-n-tell, in ,
and said:

"iplomŽ" wrote in message
OK, solved!

It turns out it was the ATI display drivers that XP used by default.

The video card is a 64MB Radeon 7200. Once I downloaded and
installed the newer drivers, the system became stable.

I would never have thought such a problem could have been caused by
XP.

uhhh, you mean ATI G

Actually, it was MS that rushed the release of XP making it impossible for
ATI to supply finished drivers to be bundled in the XP disc.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit