The Future of Graphics - Tim Sweeney

Old August 11th 09, 10:25 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
parallax-scroll

Default The Future of Graphics - Tim Sweeney

Must read!

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/arch...TimHPG2009.pdf
Old August 11th 09, 02:53 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

"parallax-scroll" wrote in message
Must read!

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/arch...TimHPG2009.pdf

From that document:

"Unreal Engine 3 is used by 100's of games"

My thoughts on that:

"And they all suck".

(Because the engine sux.)

I could stop reading right there...

But just for the fun of it I look at it some more

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 11th 09, 02:59 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
Antonio Huerta

On Aug 11, 6:25*pm, parallax-scroll wrote:
Must read!

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/arch...TimHPG2009.pdf

I hate people with surname Sweeney
Old August 11th 09, 04:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

One little thingy was interesting...

A "new" way of rendering...

Something called "reyes rendering model".

From the looks of it sounds like voxel rendering to me...

I couldn't make sense of it though just based on this powerpoint
presentation...

It mentions about "boxing" pixels.

How about "objects" be turned into "boxed pixels" ?

I could try and google it... but maybe you can give short description here ?

If not then that's fine too...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 11th 09, 11:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
parallax-scroll

On Aug 11, 10:41*am, "Skybuck Flying" wrote:
One little thingy was interesting...

A "new" way of rendering...

Something called "reyes rendering model".

From the looks of it sounds like voxel rendering to me...

I couldn't make sense of it though just based on this powerpoint
presentation...

It mentions about "boxing" pixels.

How about "objects" be turned into "boxed pixels" ?

I could try and google it... but maybe you can give short description here ?

If not then that's fine too...

Bye,
* Skybuck.

REYES isn't exactly new, it's been used in offline rendering (pre-
rendered CGI) for years.
However it would be new for real-time rendering.
Old August 12th 09, 12:34 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Bit weird technique...

If I understand correctly... it keeps making/splitting the "primitives" more
tiny and tiny and tiny until it fits into a pixel ?

https://renderman.pixar.com/products...nderman/2.html

I can't imagine that would be fast...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 12th 09, 12:40 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

Here is another explanation:

http://forum.jpatch.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=963

What I wonder about is the buckets/pixels are they 3D or 2D ?

If 2D then how to go from a splitted object from 3D to 2D ?

Does it do rendering for individual pieces ?

Apperently so ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 12th 09, 03:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
[email protected]

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:53:30 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

"parallax-scroll" wrote in message
Must read!

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/arch...TimHPG2009.pdf

From that document:

"Unreal Engine 3 is used by 100's of games"

My thoughts on that:

"And they all suck".

(Because the engine sux.)

I could stop reading right there...

well, I like FPS games, so I don't agree with that.
Old August 12th 09, 07:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
Skybuck Flying[_2_]

wrote:

"parallax-scroll" wrote in message
Must read!

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/arch...TimHPG2009.pdf

From that document:

"Unreal Engine 3 is used by 100's of games"

My thoughts on that:

"And they all suck".

(Because the engine sux.)

I could stop reading right there...

well, I like FPS games, so I don't agree with that.

I like fps games as well, but not he fps games made with unreal engine 3
those suck because of lags.

And don't get me started about gears of war and that sort of third person
****... that's even worse !

(Blooming bleh.)

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old August 13th 09, 03:49 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch
[email protected]

wrote:

"parallax-scroll" wrote in message
Must read!

http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/arch...TimHPG2009.pdf

From that document:

"Unreal Engine 3 is used by 100's of games"

My thoughts on that:

"And they all suck".

(Because the engine sux.)

I could stop reading right there...

well, I like FPS games, so I don't agree with that.

I like fps games as well, but not he fps games made with unreal engine 3
those suck because of lags.

And don't get me started about gears of war and that sort of third person
****... that's even worse !

(Blooming bleh.)

nah, I don't want to hear a rant against 3rd person games.

But e.g. I liked Bioshock (U3 engine game) -- even when I first played
it on my old mediocre system. I thought it used the engine well. If
there were a few graphics hitches in overloaded areas, I didn't pay
enough attention to remember. The artwork of the game was totally
masterful.

But then frame rates and graphics hoopla are only part of it for me.
e.g. I'm still a total fan of the early Thief series that uses the
Dark engine - and I'm convinced that those games couldn't have been
done if the engine weren't as limited as it is. The games were
designed with those limitations in mind, setting the parameters.