Geforce mx4000 help.

Old April 1st 07, 04:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jimbob

Default Geforce mx4000 help.

Hey out there!

I've had to use a back up graphics card, the mx4000.

I use to play alot of cs:source with my old card 6600GT, but now im only
able to play it with really low res with no settings up. What im wanting
basically is to be able to play 800*600 in window mode, but i get fps of
around 10 which is pretty poor.

Just wondered if theres any tips out there to be able to do this, i know
its a long shot with this card.

Xp pro sp2
Core2Duo @ 2.1ghz
mx4000
Drivers: 84.25

Thanks.

btw, what are the favourite nvidia cards these days, i will need a new
one soon. My board supports both AGP and PCI-E.
Old April 1st 07, 05:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
KCB

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2snj7l

Old April 1st 07, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Cessna 310

Jimbob wrote:
Hey out there!

I've had to use a back up graphics card, the mx4000.

I use to play alot of cs:source with my old card 6600GT, but now im only
able to play it with really low res with no settings up. What im wanting
basically is to be able to play 800*600 in window mode, but i get fps of
around 10 which is pretty poor.

Just wondered if theres any tips out there to be able to do this, i know
its a long shot with this card.

Xp pro sp2
Core2Duo @ 2.1ghz
mx4000
Drivers: 84.25

Thanks.

btw, what are the favourite nvidia cards these days, i will need a new
one soon. My board supports both AGP and PCI-E.

The problem you're experiencing is likely due to the differences in
performance between a 6600GT and MX4000. To eek out a little more
performance, you might deinstall and reinstall the drivers. Maybe try
v93.71 to see if it makes a difference.

Your current computer is misbalanced by using a relatively low
performance video card. In the context of its installation, that MX4000
in that system is about like putting bug repellent in a Ferrari. It is
the weak link in the chain.

You can probably get similar performance to your 6600GT from a 7300GT or
7600GS, both available from under $100. You could step up in
performance by going to a 7600GT (some $100) or 7600-GTOC (low $100s).
If you want card performance equivalent to the rest of the system, IMO
it would be desirable to go to at least a 7900GT (or better) depending
on what kind of game performance expectations you have.

For new / replacement cards, it would be desirable to go to PCI-E since
most that provide decent performance are less expensive than their AGP
counterparts.

Card performance rankings are available:

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/pcs/every...ked-241379.php

Performance comparisons:

http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

Old April 1st 07, 07:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Jimbob wrote:
Hey out there!

I've had to use a back up graphics card, the mx4000.

I use to play alot of cs:source with my old card 6600GT, but now im only
able to play it with really low res with no settings up. What im wanting
basically is to be able to play 800*600 in window mode, but i get fps of
around 10 which is pretty poor.

Just wondered if theres any tips out there to be able to do this, i know
its a long shot with this card.

Xp pro sp2
Core2Duo @ 2.1ghz
mx4000
Drivers: 84.25

Thanks.

btw, what are the favourite nvidia cards these days, i will need a new
one soon. My board supports both AGP and PCI-E.

The MX4000 is worse than a cut down GF2MX, nearly as slow as a TNT2
would be on the same system, you stand no chance of getting decent
framerates with it. It was only good for integraters and OEM's to
include basic workstation app support.

The best you can do is run Source in DX7 mode at reduced resolution. By
default, dropping to DX7 will limit all your texture and detail options
as well as get rid of lighting, shadows, and lots of props. You can add
-dxlevel 70 to the launch options in Steam. Once switched, you can
remove the option.

According to the dxsupport.cfg file, there is a DX6 and even DX5
fallback mode for the oldest cards, but the dxlevel doesn't seem to
stick when you set 60 or 50.
Old April 1st 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW[_2_]

That older inexpensive card is too UNDERPOWERED to play modern games with a
decent framerate.

--

DaveW

___________

Old April 2nd 07, 10:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jimbob

Jimbob wrote:
Hey out there!

I've had to use a back up graphics card, the mx4000.

I use to play alot of cs:source with my old card 6600GT, but now im only
able to play it with really low res with no settings up. What im wanting
basically is to be able to play 800*600 in window mode, but i get fps of
around 10 which is pretty poor.

Just wondered if theres any tips out there to be able to do this, i know
its a long shot with this card.

Xp pro sp2
Core2Duo @ 2.1ghz
mx4000
Drivers: 84.25

Thanks.

btw, what are the favourite nvidia cards these days, i will need a new
one soon. My board supports both AGP and PCI-E.

Well, ive tried diff drivers, changed settings in game, messed with dx
levels and still no go. I guess i have to admit defeat, and start saving..

Thanks for the replies people.
Old April 2nd 07, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
linux57

Jimbob wrote:
Jimbob wrote:
[...]

You have a quite nice system, really only limited by the performance of
the video card.

You definitely want PCI-E with this system. Get rid of all the
bottlenecks you can.

My suggestion to to get at least an nVidia 7600GTOC or a 7900GS. Even
though the cost is a little higher than the lesser cards, its quite in
line and consistent with the value of the rest of the system. The costs
of these cards is dropping steadily and either can be acquired for under
$150 with rebates.

Old April 2nd 07, 03:36 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Jimbob

linux57 wrote:

Well, ive tried diff drivers, changed settings in game, messed with dx
levels and still no go. I guess i have to admit defeat, and start
saving..

Thanks for the replies people.

You have a quite nice system, really only limited by the performance of
the video card.

You definitely want PCI-E with this system. Get rid of all the
bottlenecks you can.

My suggestion to to get at least an nVidia 7600GTOC or a 7900GS. Even
though the cost is a little higher than the lesser cards, its quite in
line and consistent with the value of the rest of the system. The costs
of these cards is dropping steadily and either can be acquired for under
$150 with rebates.

Thanks for the advice, nice cards those