NVidia GeForce Ti 4200

Old March 28th 07, 08:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Default NVidia GeForce Ti 4200

Dear all,

Can the temperature of this card be measured or not? I don't think
this one has temperature sensors.

And, whether the answer is yes or no, what program do I have to use to
be able to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Fred.

Old March 28th 07, 08:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'Fred.' wrote:
| Can the temperature of this card be measured or not? I don't think
| this one has temperature sensors.
|
| And, whether the answer is yes or no, what program do I have to use to
| be able to do this?
____

If the answer is no, then how could a program measure the temperature?
Some motherboards have a thermistor on a short cable that can be placed
where you wish.
You could also buy an Indoor/Outdoor Digital Thermometer and secure the
probe to the TI4200 heatsink.

But then, what would you do if you deem the temperature too high? A new and
better display adapter would cost little more than any extra cooling
solution (other than cleaning dust bunnies from the heatsink.)

Phil Weldon

ups.com...

Old March 28th 07, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

This is only a partial answer on my question, a logic one, but only
partial as I want to know if this card has temperature sensors or not.
That's all. I can't find an answer: not in my manual, not on internet,
not on the NVidia Website.

Can anyone help me out? Thank you again.

____

If the answer is no, then how could a program measure the temperature?
Some motherboards have a thermistor on a short cable that can be placed
where you wish.
You could also buy an Indoor/Outdoor Digital Thermometer and secure the
probe to the TI4200 heatsink.

But then, what would you do if you deem the temperature too high? A new and
better display adapter would cost little more than any extra cooling
solution (other than cleaning dust bunnies from the heatsink.)

Phil Weldon

ups.com...

Old March 29th 07, 06:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Mar 29, 4:23 am, Pipboy wrote:
On 28 Mar 2007 14:22:08 -0700, wrote:

This is only a partial answer on my question, a logic one, but only
partial as I want to know if this card has temperature sensors or not.
That's all. I can't find an answer: not in my manual, not on internet,
not on the NVidia Website.

Can anyone help me out? Thank you again.

Mine has no temp sensor. I've ran it with the fan disconnected for hours
with no issues so heat is not really an issue with this card.

Thanks for this answer: I also have this impression, although I've
installed a Zalman VF900 on it. This especially because it does not
make noise! But now I'm curious about the temperature drops because of
this cooler.

I read this on the internet somewhe

Since the Geforce 4 Ti 4200 doesn't have an onboard temperature
sensor, I used some thermal tape and applied an external diode to the
back of the PCB where the GPU is located. While this method isn't too
accurate, it will give you a good idea of how the cooler compares to
Thermaltake's. (http://www.thetechlounge.com/articles.php?id=51)

And I received an answer from NVidia too (they respond very fast, so
that's nice - even the same day, only three hours later, or, was I
lucky?):

Fred, it is difficult to guarantee that all GeForce 4 TI 4200 graphics
cards will include a temperature sensor. This is because while the
card manufacturers do use NVIDIA chipsets, they are at liberty to add
or remove this feature at their discretion. Hence I suggest that you
contact the card manufacturer who manufactured you card to be sure
whether yours does indeed has one. If it has then there are programs
available from us to display the temperature from the screen.

= Now I have to find this manufacturer... And there's this paradox
with this post on TechLounge! Strange...

Any other suggestions?

Old March 29th 07, 07:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Phil Weldon

'fredduc' wrote:
| This is only a partial answer on my question, a logic one, but only
| partial as I want to know if this card has temperature sensors or not.
| That's all. I can't find an answer: not in my manual, not on internet,
| not on the NVidia Website.
_____

A negative is difficult to prove. There is no temperature sensor on any
TI4200 I've seen. You would NOT see information concerning TI4200
temperature sensing on the Internet if such a thing does not exist. You
might find it helpful to look at

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/vid...v-power_9.html
which measures the nVidia FX5700 power consumption under load at ~ 25 Watts
( the nVidia FX5200 being the approximate equal for the TI4200 - better on
most things, worse on others.)

If you are just curious about the existence of temperature monitoring for
the TI4200, that's the best I can do. If you have a purpose in mind, then
state it and you might get additional information. Just guessing at your
intentions, I have a tired old FX5200 with a tiny heatsink and a
non-functioning fan. It runs (measured with an thermistor probe plugged
into the motherboard, and secured to the bottom of the heatsink near the
GPU) at ~ 70 C under load with 27 C ambient air temperature. CompUSA, for
example, sells a generic heatsink/fan replacement ($19.95 US) that will fit
a range of older nVidia cards (TI4000 series and FX5000 series). With that
in place, the same old FX5200 runs, under load, at 44 C with 27 C ambient
air temperature (the CompUSA replacement does block a PCI slot.

Phil Weldon

wrote in message
ups.com...
| This is only a partial answer on my question, a logic one, but only
| partial as I want to know if this card has temperature sensors or not.
| That's all. I can't find an answer: not in my manual, not on internet,
| not on the NVidia Website.
|
| Can anyone help me out? Thank you again.
|

| On Mar 28, 9:49 pm, "Phil Weldon" wrote:
| 'Fred.' wrote:
|
| | Can the temperature of this card be measured or not? I don't think
| | this one has temperature sensors.
| |
| | And, whether the answer is yes or no, what program do I have to use to
| | be able to do this?
| ____
|
| If the answer is no, then how could a program measure the temperature?
| Some motherboards have a thermistor on a short cable that can be placed
| where you wish.
| You could also buy an Indoor/Outdoor Digital Thermometer and secure the
| probe to the TI4200 heatsink.
|
| But then, what would you do if you deem the temperature too high? A new
and
| better display adapter would cost little more than any extra cooling
| solution (other than cleaning dust bunnies from the heatsink.)
|
| Phil Weldon
|
| wrote in message
|
| ups.com...
| | Dear all,
| |
| |
| | Thank you in advance.
| |
| | Fred.
| |

Old March 29th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Lars-Erik Østerud

Can the temperature of this card be measured or not? I don't think
this one has temperature sensors.

Mine didn't. And the build in fan was noisy and hot. So I bought a NV
Silencer fan (with external exhaust). Did wonders for my system temp.

With my new 7600GS I can't get such a fan so my system is hot again..
--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605

WinXP, Asus P4PE, 2.53GHz, 1GB, MSI 7600GS, SB-Live
Old April 1st 07, 07:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dave H.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Dear all,

Can the temperature of this card be measured or not? I don't think
this one has temperature sensors.

And, whether the answer is yes or no, what program do I have to use to
be able to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Fred.

Speedfan picked up a temperature sensor, which I was not aware of
beforehand, in an MSI Ti-4200-vivo. Speedfan can also control the gpu fan on
this one, but be careful, I stopped using that feature when I found the fan
was not spinning up again after the pc hibernated or resumed from STR modes.
Never noticed a temperature sensor in any of several Asus and Visiontech
Ti-4200 Ti-4600 cards.

Old April 1st 07, 09:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

On Apr 1, 8:54 pm, "Dave H." wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Dear all,

Can the temperature of this card be measured or not? I don't think
this one has temperature sensors.

And, whether the answer is yes or no, what program do I have to use to
be able to do this?

Thank you in advance.

Fred.

Speedfan picked up a temperature sensor, which I was not aware of
beforehand, in an MSI Ti-4200-vivo. Speedfan can also control the gpu fan on
this one, but be careful, I stopped using that feature when I found the fan
was not spinning up again after the pc hibernated or resumed from STR modes.
Never noticed a temperature sensor in any of several Asus and Visiontech
Ti-4200 Ti-4600 cards.

THANK YOU ALL!! I placed a Zalman on it: silence rules my room now.
Temperatu we'll see... Once I'd have problems, I will replace my
whole MB anyway: it's still a socket 478 MB (Asus P4PE - 1GB DDR 2700
ram - 150GB Scsi (sata raid) - and this videocard (I don't do
rendering and I do not play games - Soundblaster XTreme Music: great
card! Intel P4 Processor 2,4Ghz, Northwood (not the best one for
overclocking, but it works)