Memory setting of Asus® A8N SLI Premium ??

Old August 22nd 05, 06:39 PM
Jean

Default Memory setting of Asus® A8N SLI Premium ??

memory OCZ platinum PC3500

was set to 2-2-2-5 on my previous MB asus p4c800e and P4 3.2

now the best I can have is 2.5-3-3-6 with my new MB and X2 4400+ cpu ??

why ?

Old August 22nd 05, 08:01 PM
Mark A

"Jean" wrote in message
memory OCZ platinum PC3500

was set to 2-2-2-5 on my previous MB asus p4c800e and P4 3.2

now the best I can have is 2.5-3-3-6 with my new MB and X2 4400+ cpu ??

why ?

Contact the memory manufacturer. Most of them have support forums to assist
you.

However, it is typical that AMD 64 can only use 2.5-3-3-6 on the same memory
that runs at 2-2-2-5 on Intel. I believe it has something to do with
processor speed for a given clock cycle, which is faster on AMD. But I am no
expert on this.

Old August 23rd 05, 12:19 PM
Homer J. Simpson

"Jean" wrote in message
memory OCZ platinum PC3500

was set to 2-2-2-5 on my previous MB asus p4c800e and P4 3.2

now the best I can have is 2.5-3-3-6 with my new MB and X2 4400+ cpu ??

why ?

What is your DDR Voltage set to in the BIOS setup? Is it set to the OCZ
recommeded voltage? It should be 2.7 Volts or 2.8 Volts depending on which
of the Platinum PC-3500 models you have. It appears that OCZ has
discontinued the PC-3500 Platinum series.

I'm currently running this same motherboard with the OCZ EL DDR PC-3200 2GB
Dual Channel Platinum Kit rated at CL 2-3-2-5 and 2.6 Volts. It appears to
run fine with this RAM at the rated timings (and 1T Command rate) and
voltage, but I'm currently not running an x2 processor or overclocking.

When I originally installed the memory I had forgotten to change the DDR
Voltage from the 2.5 Volts BIOS default to the 2.6 Volts specified by OCZ so
I wasn't able to reach the rated CL 2-3-2-5 timings, I was only able to
achieve 2.5-3-3-7.

Old August 24th 05, 02:09 AM
Jean

thanks I'm thinking of buying the PC3500 Gold gamer edition 1 gig kit... There is no 2 gig kit. Is it
true that if I installed 4x512meg =2 gig then I cannot select 1t command rate ? I readed somewhere that
1T was only possible when using only 2 memory bank.

There is so many choices on OCZ website...really confusing !

Old August 24th 05, 12:34 PM
Homer J. Simpson

news

"Jean" wrote in message
memory OCZ platinum PC3500

was set to 2-2-2-5 on my previous MB asus p4c800e and P4 3.2

now the best I can have is 2.5-3-3-6 with my new MB and X2 4400+ cpu
??

why ?

What is your DDR Voltage set to in the BIOS setup? Is it set to the OCZ
recommeded voltage? It should be 2.7 Volts or 2.8 Volts depending on
which of the Platinum PC-3500 models you have. It appears that OCZ has
discontinued the PC-3500 Platinum series.

I'm currently running this same motherboard with the OCZ EL DDR PC-3200
2GB Dual Channel Platinum Kit rated at CL 2-3-2-5 and 2.6 Volts. It
appears to run fine with this RAM at the rated timings (and 1T Command
rate) and voltage, but I'm currently not running an x2 processor or
overclocking.

When I originally installed the memory I had forgotten to change the DDR
Voltage from the 2.5 Volts BIOS default to the 2.6 Volts specified by OCZ
so I wasn't able to reach the rated CL 2-3-2-5 timings, I was only able
to achieve 2.5-3-3-7.

With 4 RAM modules it definitely is more challenging to get it to work. I
would say that you can select the 1T command rate, but that doesn't imply
that your motherboard will even POST when you save the BIOS settings change
and reboot. If 1T doesn't work ASUS POST Reporter will report that the
memory test failed.

Old August 24th 05, 09:45 PM
Jason

you can run 1T with 4 banks filled only at 333, for 400 it wants 2T, not
sure about x2 processors though, may be different.
"Homer J. Simpson" wrote in message
news