Tape Libraries - Which one to buy?

Old June 29th 05, 11:45 PM

Default Tape Libraries - Which one to buy?

The ultimate question... We are implementing a new production system
and need to determine which vendor to go with for the tape library. We
need the capacity to back up approximately 50TB weekly across four tape
pools, and are looking at a minimum of 300-cartridge libraries.

We're using Legato NetWorker on Red Hat Linux ES3, all Windows clients
(Server 2003 mostly). LTO-3 is preferred for the media. We are
currently using HP's MSL6060 and MSL5060 with LTO-2 and LTO-1
respectively. We are unhappy with these libraries due to the failure
rate of internal components and HP's support as of late... or lack of
support, I might say.

Currently we are comparing ADIC Scalar i2000, StorageTek L1400M or
similar, and HP's StorageWorks ESL9000 series. Does anyone have input
for any of these hardware solutions? Negative or positive, we just
need feedback.

Thanks!
Jessica

Old June 30th 05, 07:01 PM
Charles Morrall

skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
[...]

FWIW, HP also has the new-ish ESL-e series library, in time replacing the
older ESL9000 libraries. One of my clients has replaced their ESL9000 with
an ESL-E, and they think it's an improvement. To them, it's faster, quieter
and for lack of a better term, sleeker. Then again, it's not exactly rocket
science. It's a big box with a robotic arm, tape slots and some drives. It
doesn't do much more than shuffle tapes and data around all day. Backup
software still has to feed it and tell it what to do.
HP OEMs all their tape libraries. The MSL series from Overland, the ESL from
QuantumATL. HP also has a new EML line OEMed from StorageTek/Sun, but those
are below your 300 slot requirment.

As you probably know, Sun has announced they are buying StorageTek. This
might affect your decision.

Old June 30th 05, 08:23 PM

Thanks Charles! I'll have to look into the ESL-E libraries. We're
looking for basic robotics - Legato will be instructing it on what to
do. Currently we have flexibility with the MSL's but when used, Legato
just plain gets confused and stops working. For example, if you
physically move media from the mail slot into a drive, Legato get so
confused that it doesn't recognize the drive. There are so many things
to consider when buying new hardware like this.

I was aware that Sun bought StorageTek. I'm wondering how well the
hardware will be supported when using a Red Hat management solution for
the backup software? Not sure if this really matters.

Thanks again!
Jessica