Stonewalling: ( Ooops... Nvidia was and is cheating on 3dmark03 after all)

Old June 24th 03, 02:28 AM
Derek Wildstar

"ZOD" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Only the part I wasn't looking at.

..or the part you didn't know was there...hehe

Is that a bad thing?

We really must stop meeting like this.

Old June 24th 03, 05:44 AM
ZOD

Is that a bad thing?

Not if you don't know what you're missing....hehe

We really must stop meeting like this.

Hehe....

Old June 24th 03, 07:57 AM
Ben Pope

Toby Groves wrote:
In article , Ben Pope
writes
Toby Groves wrote:

Now let's look at Ben's claim:

Careful when quoting please - I did not say that.

My apologies, you're quite correct, my mistake.

No problems.

Ben

Old June 24th 03, 05:12 PM
Folk

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 18:37:03 GMT, "Derek Wildstar"
wrote:

"Folk" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 06:29:53 GMT, "Derek Wildstar"
wrote:

More effort should be put into innovation and optimization, the leading
players are too busy dicking around with 3dmark, and they are both guilty

of
disappointing their customers.

Problem is, in the enthusiast press arena, those companies live and
die by benchmark results. So what are they to do? Both ATI and
Nvidia would be dumb to simply ignore 3DMark, so they spend time
optimizing for it. If review sites would ignore the synthetic
benchmarks, and gauge performance based on actual games, then we would
all benefit.

I posit it's now *not* dumb to ignore 3DMark, you with me?

I'd rather throw my support behind nvidia *and* ATI, and toss out
Futuremark. They have done nothing to bring gaming forward!

HardOCP posted an editorial yesterday afternoon that follows along
these same lines. I don't see eye to eye with Kyle Bennett on a lot
of things, but I do agree with him here. It's easy for review sites
to simply run a few synthetic benchmarks, through up some graphs and
call it a review. It will be much harder to come up with how graphic
card 'A' provides a better gaming experience than graphic card 'B' in
any given game.

One of the areas where HardOCP still doesn't get it is with the focus
of a graphics card. Yes, they are geared toward 3D processing power,
but even the most hardcore gamers like to play videos and do other 2D
tasks, but you can search high and low and no review sites give any
lip service to 2D quality or DVD/video features. As pc's become more
integrated with home entertainment systems, the ability of a card to
handle those types of tasks will become more important.

Old June 25th 03, 02:23 AM
Derek Wildstar

"ZOD" wrote in message
thlink.net...

Not if you don't know what you're missing....hehe

I wouldn't if you didn't tell me.