AMD Problem

Old August 6th 03, 07:49 PM
Sean

Default AMD Problem

i have a qtec 400w power supply, the problem is that they are cheap, i had
to send one back with the same problem, its somthing to do with the power
supply taking in more power than it needs, which in turn fills the
stabalisation capacitors in the power supply to the brim, it then has to
swithch itself off to discharge itself before it blows up, do yourself a
favour and get a better quality one

"John" wrote in message
Hi,
My AMD Athlon 1.7 was a bit on the noisey side so I decided to try
to remidy the problem. I fitted an Artic Copper Silent fan which brought
runnint temp down to a meagre 38C. However I now realised that the bulk of
the noise was coming from the PSU (Antec 350w). I decided to change the

PSU
for a 450 low noise version.

I use an Abit KR7A Raid board, with GForce 5 128m Card an 2 Maxtor 60 HDs.

bought a Q-TEC 450w dual Fan unit and fitted it to my Windows XP Machine.
When I tried to boot the machine it shut down after a few seconds. Now

when
I switch it on the fans rune for a moment and the it shuts down. I cannot
see any obcious cause, all fans are running, and even when I replace the

old
PSU the machine continues to shut down just after pressing the start

button.
HAS ANYONE got any idea what the problem is.

The shop which supplied the PSU says that XP is the problem and that the
PSU`s wont run under XP. Sounds dodgey to me........its not even getting
past the bios boot, before shutdown.
Please help if you can, I am cracking up with this problem.
John

Old August 6th 03, 08:08 PM
John

Problem witht that is that when I replaced the qtec PSU witht he old
one(Antec), the problem persists. Surley both PSU`s have not gone west?

Old August 6th 03, 08:12 PM
Mikey

Wild guess, but it happened to me...Did you have the motherboard set to
monitor the rpm of the CPU fan ( or any other fans..maybe the PS fan
too..I'm not sure if it has that setting?) and shut down if it fails? If so,
did you change to a fan without the sensor perhaps ( 2 wire vs 3 wire) ?
This can cause the perplexing problem that you are running into, the fix is
to hook up the fan with a sensor (3 wire fan) to the correct plug, boot
into the bios, and then disable that setting if your not using it.

--

Mikey
http://www.mike721.com

Old August 6th 03, 08:26 PM
John

That sounds like whats happening all right........guess Ill go check again.
I suspected this earlier. I run Winbond for monitoring fansc and temp. I put
it in startup just today. The PC is not getting past the first post though.
It good deductive thinking though.

Old August 6th 03, 08:37 PM
Vanguard

"John" wrote in message

Hi,
My AMD Athlon 1.7 was a bit on the noisey side so I decided
to try to remidy the problem. I fitted an Artic Copper Silent fan
which brought runnint temp down to a meagre 38C. However I now
realised that the bulk of the noise was coming from the PSU (Antec
350w). I decided to change the PSU for a 450 low noise version.

I use an Abit KR7A Raid board, with GForce 5 128m Card an 2 Maxtor 60
HDs. I bought a Q-TEC 450w dual Fan unit and fitted it to my Windows
XP Machine. When I tried to boot the machine it shut down after a few
seconds. Now when I switch it on the fans rune for a moment and the
it shuts down. I cannot see any obcious cause, all fans are running,
and even when I replace the old PSU the machine continues to shut
down just after pressing the start button. HAS ANYONE got any idea
what the problem is.

The shop which supplied the PSU says that XP is the problem and that
the PSU`s wont run under XP. Sounds dodgey to me........its not even
getting past the bios boot, before shutdown.
Please help if you can, I am cracking up with this problem.
John

Windows XP cannot be the problem because it doesn't even exist when you
are booting the hardware.

Do you still have the old Antec power supply? If so, feel confident
enough to remove some screws to open it up? If so, you could try
replacing the fan (should be 80mm square) with a quieter fan. I
replaced mine with a Vantec stealth fan and it got much quieter. I have
an old system so the heat output is not very high and a single-speed
stealth fan works great. However, you might want to use their
ThermoFlow 80mm fan which will up its speed as the heat goes up. Its
noise starts out at 25 dB at its minimal speed of 2000 RPM at 24 CFM and
goes up to 38 dB at its maximum speed of 3400 RPM at 42 CFM. But even
at 38 dB, that's a lot quieter than Antec's 50 dB noise (estimated) for
its constant speed fan.

The only Antec 350W power supply that I found at
http://www.antec-inc.com/pro_powerSupply.html was in their Solution
series. They do not includes its noise levels in the specifications
shown there for this unit, and probably for good reason as it is
probably a loud unit. However, they do provide a lot more specs online
at http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/sl350_spe.html than does Qtec at
http://www.qtec.info/products/product.htm?artnr=13024. Antec shows that
the combined output for +5V, +3.3V, and +12V is 330 watts so figure on
that as you max power rating (it's 482W across all outputs). According
to Tom's Hardware review of power supplies, Antec was one of those that
consistently provided its full rated power output along with a hefty
reserve when overloaded, so I'd try to go back to the Antec but with a
variable-speed temperature-controlled fan to reduce noise, and put the
QTec 450W unit in a system that doesn't max over 300W. The QTec might
look impressive with its 2 fans but that might because their unit is a
very low efficiency unit (power out versus power in) and so the
differential in wattage in and wattage out requires more fans to
dissipate the extra heat.

** Share with others. Post replies in the newsgroup.
** If present, remove all "-nix" from my email address.

Old August 6th 03, 08:38 PM
John

I truly thought my pc was for the bin.........but thanks to you guys I have
it back. I looked on the CD and checked the manual and found a CMOS reset
jumper. I applied it and BINGO It booted fully. I gotta send you floks a
case of beer for that one.............outstanding.!

Old August 6th 03, 09:16 PM
John

Thats how I started out today Van........trying to replace the Antec fan
with a quierer unit. Unfortunatly The fan I had was a simpler unit, with no
feed back to the mobo, and it also had a different plug.This is how the
problem arose......the cmos was expecting a temperature reading which it did
not get and assumed it was a fault, so it shut the pc down. I already had
the psu open when I discovered this. I think I will ty your suggestion
tomorrow though and find a quieter fan.........The PSU is a 350w unit and
has been troublefree apart from the "bleedin racket" it makes. I preferred
the Antec other than that. Anyways I am back in action again........thanks
again for all the replies and suggestions.

"Vanguard" wrote in message
et...

Old August 6th 03, 11:06 PM
kony

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:16:27 +0100, "John" wrote:

Hi,
My AMD Athlon 1.7 was a bit on the noisey side so I decided to try
to remidy the problem. I fitted an Artic Copper Silent fan which brought
runnint temp down to a meagre 38C. However I now realised that the bulk of
the noise was coming from the PSU (Antec 350w). I decided to change the PSU
for a 450 low noise version.

I use an Abit KR7A Raid board, with GForce 5 128m Card an 2 Maxtor 60 HDs. I
bought a Q-TEC 450w dual Fan unit and fitted it to my Windows XP Machine.
When I tried to boot the machine it shut down after a few seconds. Now when
I switch it on the fans rune for a moment and the it shuts down. I cannot
see any obcious cause, all fans are running, and even when I replace the old
PSU the machine continues to shut down just after pressing the start button.
HAS ANYONE got any idea what the problem is.

The shop which supplied the PSU says that XP is the problem and that the
PSU`s wont run under XP. Sounds dodgey to me........its not even getting
past the bios boot, before shutdown.
Please help if you can, I am cracking up with this problem.
John

If they tell you that, SEIZE the moment and demand to return the power
supply for a refund. What they told you, is complete BS of course,
but they are going further in trying to screw you... not only selling
a crap overrated power supply, but now knowing it's not working, they
just try to blame the Operating System, as if their obligation is
null. The power supply is junk, not as good as the Antec, maybe worth
$20 if you don't mind risking frying your system components. If the
Antec is too loud then buy a $3 fan and replace the fan... just be
sure to use a quality ball-bearing fan, to minimize the potential for
fan failure.

Having written this much, the problem prompting this thread could
easily be a fan RPM sensor issue as another poster already suggested.

Dave

Old September 16th 03, 10:24 PM
hjusth

I have run into that problem a time or two, so far the best remedy I have
had for my customers is a new power supply, most cases are sold with budget
econo craptastic power supplys.

Check your voltage settings in the bios and make sure everything is set to
your needs, check the mobo's web page and see what they recomend for
tolerances.

Old September 17th 03, 01:20 AM
kony

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 21:24:40 GMT, "hjusth" wrote:

"John" wrote in message
[...]

None of that is necessary. Old power supply worked, new generic
doesn't... Failing some mishap during installation it can only be the
power supply, the OP should DEMAND money back, definitely not an
exchange for another generic power supply.

The Antec Power supply can be fitted with a quieter fan or a different
quality name-brand PSU might be used instead.

Dave

Startup/Shutdown Problem Girgath General 5 August 8th 03 05:45 AM
Still a problem! JOE BLOW General 2 July 16th 03 05:02 PM
Weird CD reading problem Devang Devani General 1 July 12th 03 03:09 AM
Advice on lockup problem grendel General 1 July 7th 03 05:39 AM
NIC installation problem Maureen General 1 June 25th 03 02:22 AM