Hard Drive Repair Question Physical Problem with the drive

Old April 10th 07, 02:51 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
jmDesktop

Default Hard Drive Repair Question Physical Problem with the drive

Maxtor 40 GB ide hard drive ata 133 3.5 N 40P. Spins, but I get no
OS. I took it out put it in another PC, will not show up as a second
drive (I changed it to be the slave.) I also have a usb to ide
adapter. The drive is recognized by xp pro and I can see it in the
device manager, but I cannot see it in disk manager or windows
explorer. I am sure it is probably hardware failure, but hoped
someone might have some idea how to fix it.

Drive spins and continues to spin. When I first put power to it I
hear a momentary click or some physical movement inside the drive, but
not after that.

Thanks for any help. I know it may be a lost cause.

Old April 10th 07, 07:48 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously jmDesktop wrote:
Maxtor 40 GB ide hard drive ata 133 3.5 N 40P. Spins, but I get no
OS. I took it out put it in another PC, will not show up as a second
drive (I changed it to be the slave.) I also have a usb to ide
adapter. The drive is recognized by xp pro and I can see it in the
device manager, but I cannot see it in disk manager or windows
explorer. I am sure it is probably hardware failure, but hoped
someone might have some idea how to fix it.

Drive spins and continues to spin. When I first put power to it I
hear a momentary click or some physical movement inside the drive, but
not after that.

Thanks for any help. I know it may be a lost cause.

This sounds like a problem with the data on disk. What happened to
make it inaccessible?

One thing you can do, is to get its SMART status. You might also
just try to repartition, if you do not care about the data on disk.

Arno
Old April 10th 07, 02:39 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
bealoid

On 10 Apr, 02:51, "jmDesktop" wrote:

Drive spins and continues to spin. When I first put power to it I
hear a momentary click or some physical movement inside the drive, but
not after that.

Drives often have a hardware latch to "park" the heads outside the
disk platters, or on the inside of the disk platters. Sometimes the
latch fails, so the drive spins up but the heads can't move.

If you must get data from the disk you can take the lid off, and tape
the latch open, and use recovery software to get data off the disc.
Obviously, the disc is trashed after this. :-)

Old April 10th 07, 03:12 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously bealoid wrote:
On 10 Apr, 02:51, "jmDesktop" wrote:

Drive spins and continues to spin. When I first put power to it I
hear a momentary click or some physical movement inside the drive, but
not after that.

Drives often have a hardware latch to "park" the heads outside the
disk platters, or on the inside of the disk platters. Sometimes the
latch fails, so the drive spins up but the heads can't move.

If you must get data from the disk you can take the lid off, and tape
the latch open, and use recovery software to get data off the disc.
Obviously, the disc is trashed after this. :-)

Or even before....

Arno
Old April 10th 07, 04:41 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
jmDesktop

On Apr 10, 9:39 am, "bealoid" wrote:
On 10 Apr, 02:51, "jmDesktop" wrote:

Drive spins and continues to spin. When I first put power to it I
hear a momentary click or some physical movement inside the drive, but
not after that.

Drives often have a hardware latch to "park" the heads outside the
disk platters, or on the inside of the disk platters. Sometimes the
latch fails, so the drive spins up but the heads can't move.

If you must get data from the disk you can take the lid off, and tape
the latch open, and use recovery software to get data off the disc.
Obviously, the disc is trashed after this. :-)

What do you mean "tape the latch open?"

Old April 10th 07, 04:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
jmDesktop

On Apr 10, 2:48 am, Arno Wagner wrote:
[...]

I do care about the data. It's not the drive. I don't care about
that. I can buy another one. I don't know what happened to it. A
week before I was getting a blank screen while some programs ran and
other times I would try and wake up the PC and just have my blank
screen. The machine was running, but nothing would happen. Finally,
I got the no OS on the system or insert boot media, etc.

How do I get the SMART status? I can see information about the drive
in the device manager and can populate information about it.

Thanks again.

Old April 10th 07, 08:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
bealoid

On 10 Apr, 16:41, "jmDesktop" wrote:
On Apr 10, 9:39 am, "bealoid" wrote:

On 10 Apr, 02:51, "jmDesktop" wrote:

Drive spins and continues to spin. When I first put power to it I
hear a momentary click or some physical movement inside the drive, but
not after that.

Drives often have a hardware latch to "park" the heads outside the
disk platters, or on the inside of the disk platters. Sometimes the
latch fails, so the drive spins up but the heads can't move.

If you must get data from the disk you can take the lid off, and tape
the latch open, and use recovery software to get data off the disc.
Obviously, the disc is trashed after this. :-)

What do you mean "tape the latch open?"

Have a look at some of the pictures on this website:
http://hddguru.com/content/en/articl...stack-Q-and-A/

Looking at the head stacks you'll see a delicate end, over the
platters. Then there's a pivot. Then you'll see a chunky metal end.
This has big magnets, coils, ribbon cables, and maybe a plastic latch
thing.

Sometimes the electronics that open the latch break. This means that
the heads can't swing out over the platters. You can take the lid off
the drive, and open the latch, and hold it open by a piece of tape,
then connect the drive to a pc and power it up.

This is a last ditch effort to get data off the drive. You'll
probably need data recovery software.

I've only done this once. I was lucky, I got my data back. I learnt
that back ups are always easier. :-)

Old April 10th 07, 09:10 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Odie Ferrous

bealoid wrote:

[...]

Sorry - you have totally lost me on this one.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old April 10th 07, 09:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

[...]

E.g. sisoft sandra or the smartmontools candisplay the smart status.
Best read it and post it here.

Arno

Old April 10th 07, 09:44 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously Odie Ferrous wrote:
bealoid wrote:

[...]

Me too. The drives I opened (broken or not needed anymore)
had no ''electronics that open the latch''. Maybe a WD
invention? I never opened (or owned) one of those...

Arno