Extra memory for a C502US notebook

Old March 20th 07, 10:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Toller

Default Extra memory for a C502US notebook

The documentation that comes with this, even on line, is laughable.

1) It has one 512MB module. Can I add a 256MB for a total of 768MB, or must
I add a 512MB?
2) Will any DDR2 work, or is there something special required?

Thanks.

Old March 21st 07, 01:07 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

If it takes DDR2, there is no such thing as a magical Compaq DDR2 module. All
the major computer manufacturers and white box builders of systems use the same
commodity memory nowadays. When adding memory, make sure that the speed of the
new memory is the same as or faster than the existing memory.

It is probable that 256MB would work, but why not simply go for 512MB and
eliminate the risk. And give yourself a treat... Ben Myers

Old March 21st 07, 04:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

You can get another 512 for $44. Why do less?

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...resario+C502US

HH

Old March 21st 07, 01:30 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Toller

This memory is 4200. I am pretty sure mine is 5300. I realize you can mix
speed, but then it all slows down to the slowest.

Am I wrong about this, or is 4200 the fastest the C502 can profitably use?

Old March 21st 07, 04:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

You can try the 4200, if you have it already. You're way better off matching
the speed of a new SODIMM to the speed of the one in there now... Ben Myers

Old March 22nd 07, 12:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
HH

I've not known Crucial to make errors. If they say 4200, it likely is 4200.

HH

"Toller" wrote in message
The documentation that comes with this, even on line, is laughable.

1) It has one 512MB module. Can I add a 256MB for a total of 768MB, or
must I add a 512MB?
2) Will any DDR2 work, or is there something special required?

Thanks.

Dimension 2350 refuses to boot with extra memory Mr B Dell Computers 10 November 17th 04 12:15 AM
Does the a7n8x-x support extra low memory timing ? Dreamaker Asus Motherboards 1 September 13th 04 06:52 PM
Is extra memory useable? Dave Kahn General 1 February 3rd 04 10:50 AM
Extra memory EB Dell Computers 10 November 14th 03 03:25 AM
Extra Memory on RAID card - difference? John Smith Storage (alternative) 1 September 2nd 03 01:57 PM