A disc read error occurred

Old August 18th 04, 06:07 AM
Josh

Default A disc read error occurred

I have a Compaq Presario 5000, with the original mother board that
came with it. Also, I just got a brand new Seagate 40 GB Barracuda ATA
HD. So, I don't know if my problem is the HD or the mother board

Since I was having problems getting the computer to boot (problem that
originated with a nasty virus), I formated the HD in a different
computer and loaded Windows XP in it, which worked fine in the other
PC. In mine I'm getting the error: "a disk read error occurred Press
Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" after the Compaq logo shows up

This is my only computer and I'm getting a headache trying to fix
this. Please help!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for any help or tips in
advance!
Old August 18th 04, 10:12 AM
Tom Scales

Is it jumpered Cable Select?

Also, installing XP on a hard drive on a different machine, unless it is
IDENTICALLY configured will rarely work. XP, during the install, configures
way to much uniquely to the machine.

Tom
om...

Old August 18th 04, 01:41 PM
Ben Myers

Yes. It is extremely likely that the disk read error is caused by different
disk I/O chipsets between the two computers.

There is no possibility of virus contamination of the Seagate Barracuda drive if
it is installed on the Presario 5000 and Windows XP installed from scratch
directly from either a Microsoft Windows XP CD or a Compaq restore CD.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 05:12:36 -0400, "Tom Scales" wrote:

Is it jumpered Cable Select?

Also, installing XP on a hard drive on a different machine, unless it is
IDENTICALLY configured will rarely work. XP, during the install, configures
way to much uniquely to the machine.

Tom
. com...

Old August 20th 04, 12:55 AM
TerryNC

LOL

"Josh" wrote in message
om...
I have a Compaq Presario 5000, with the original mother board that
came with it. Also, I just got a brand new Seagate 40 GB Barracuda ATA
HD. So, I don't know if my problem is the HD or the mother board

Since I was having problems getting the computer to boot (problem that
originated with a nasty virus), I formated the HD in a different
computer and loaded Windows XP in it, which worked fine in the other
PC. In mine I'm getting the error: "a disk read error occurred Press
Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart" after the Compaq logo shows up

This is my only computer and I'm getting a headache trying to fix
this. Please help!!!!!!!!!! Thanks to everyone for any help or tips in
advance!

Error burning BARTPE bootable XP disc Maria Ripanykhazova Cdr 5 February 15th 05 04:48 AM
DirectCD Disk Thrashing - the Kiss of Death? Mike Richter Cdr 30 August 12th 04 08:36 AM
cdrw disc wil not read Darminder Cdr 3 May 13th 04 09:11 AM
Liteon CD-RW 52x24x52 -- tray won't open w/ CD-RW disc? (Model LTR-52246S) Scott Carson Cdr 4 September 4th 03 11:39 PM
CD burning speed determines read speed? David K General 4 July 22nd 03 09:31 AM