Recommend a FAN for the Pentium Pro 1MB 200MHz

Old August 3rd 03, 09:58 PM
rcm

Default Recommend a FAN for the Pentium Pro 1MB 200MHz

Depending on how much clearance is in the case above the CPUs, try putting
in longer screws with spacers between the HS and fan. Maybe this will help
temporarily to stop the fans from overheating from contact with the
heatsink. Rubber washers of some type, or those old motherboard case mounts
washers.

The Socket 8 CPU heatsink is huge and will certainly accommodate almost any
CPU fan out there. Clearance is the problem.

Otherwise, more case fans can be used to move more air through the case
helping the CPU fans. Maybe you can direct air at the CPUs with a jury
rigged case fan pointing at the CPUs. If there are no free case fan opening
try, slot fans, bay fan, etc to move more air. Replace the case fans
existing with much stronger ones. Also check that you Power Supply fans are
doing their job. Maybe there are shot or so full of dust they are working
inefficiently.

My guess is the cooling in the servers is not working properly, the problems
with the CPU fans is a symptom, not the cause. There servers seem to have a
cooling problem. Removing CPUs from a quad to two is a great drop in heat
so think about the box as a whole, not the CPU.

If your Digital servers are in a closed locked room, increase airflow to the
room. You can get a water cooled circulating air-conditioner installed to
cool the room but expensive. Why has your office ambient temperature
increased? Temp heat wave or permanent problem?

Last, time to upgrade those old servers ... What if a major system
failure?? Do you have a service contract? Using such old technology in a
production environment is a recipe for disaster unless you have a service
contract with someone reliable in old tech or you had better have lots of
spare parts on hand and maintain your own spare parts inventory. I have
seen production lines go down because they were running on an old XT PC that
finally died after 10 years and no service contract, no one knows anything
about the equipment. A major NHL hockey team rink scoreboards ran on old
386 PCs that crapped out and they went scrambling for parts/replacements in
the used computer stores as way too old for anyone to service. Funny how an
old 386SX system went for a couple of $100 to someone desperate a couple of
years back. All too typical in today's world, it takes a disaster to get
something done that should have been replaced long ago.

If I were you, I would get the budget to replace that server(s) with a
modern one. Normally, you never get a chance to avoid disaster by having
warning signs, you certainly have some now and if lucky will remove the
threat to your company. Anticipate instead of react to the problem.

You could probably replace all your Digital servers with one 2+ GHz system,
reduce operating costs (electricity etc), etc.

"Andy Jones" wrote in message
Anyone recommend a fan for the Pentium Pro 1MB 200MHz processor.

The ambient temperature has increased in our office, and the DEC
Digital Servers are suffering, and alarm at Pentium Pro temps of 80
degrees C (max spec limit). These are Quad servers so it doesn't help,
but we've reduced them to duals and it doesn't make alot of
difference.

We tried fans we've purchased locally and via eBay, and the cheap poor
fans melt with the heat. (these servers our on 24x7).

My guess is that the fans are too close to the small heatsinks, and
heat up, and it warps the bearings or something.

Anyone suggest a CoolerMaster fan, if these will fit or other.....

Sanyo Denki originally supplied heatsinks with Retail Boxed Pentium
Pros which seem to work very well, not too sure if these would work on
1MB chips, we have these on local workststaions at 256/512 cache, with
the bump on the chip.

I don't know if Sanyo Denki still supply these!?

AJ

Old August 5th 03, 01:45 AM
Andy Jones

On Sun, 03 Aug 2003 20:58:51 GMT, "rcm" wrote:

[...]

"Andy Jones" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks for the good advice.

The DEC Servers have primary and secondary fans which kick in. Air
flow is okay through the servers.

The problem is ambient air temperature in the computer room. It was
30 degrees today, and 34 degrees C outside!

Temp Heat wave in the UK!

Air Conditioning is the only answer, but we've been quoted £6 - £7,000
UK GBP.

Which is very expepsive for a few days in the year when we have these
freak heat waves!

We may examine the replacement of the servers, with new.

We also have stocks of spares for the servers!

Thanks to all that replied.

Regards

AJ
Old June 23rd 04, 08:10 PM
Chris Sologuk

BIG Heatsink ... 80mm Case Fan
Make sure there is lots of movement of air in the case. As long as that
air is moving it won't overheat.
I got 5 in my Dual PPro.

Old June 23rd 04, 08:58 PM
Dorothy Bradbury

o Ensure the case exhausts are clear re airflow
---- then check for any short-circuiting of the airflow path
---- eg, exhaust fan(s) with an empty fan port next to them
o Call PC-Power-and-Cooling - they did P-Pro heatsinks
---- they ran hot, but the fans were good quality

EBM-Papst, NMB & Panaflo are happy with very high temperatures,
with ratings of sustaining 75-85oC for several years on the fans.

Quad P-Pro will run hot, you will need high airflow fans.
Check the original part #'s & specs, and either match them if the
machine performed adequately or choose the next fan up re airflow.

Cheaper fans will not tolerate extreme low or high temperatures,
both in terms of the oil viscosity range and the bearing quality. Also
note what signal outputs, if any, you need re rpm/tacho output. For
Papst if a 3rd wire is needed you need a /2 extension on the part
number, for NMB you need Bx9 with an A code above 50, for a
Panaflo you need a 1BX extension after the noise code (eg, H1BX).
Very few fans in the Panaflo range are in production with 1BX code,
and NMB are essentially not available with it except to OEM. Papst
however are commonly available with a /2 extension - at a price.

I suspect for a P-Pro system, whilst quad-CPU it doesn't use tacho
monitoring on the fans (3rd wire), so work from the original fan specs.

Nidec are another choice, and NMB are also known as Minebea,
who make the world's best (& expensive) ball-bearings. EBM-Papst
are the "new" name for Papst, the quality german fan maker.
--
Dorothy Bradbury
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/panaflofan for quiet fans, books & other items