SB16 Emulation -- locking up keyboard?

Old July 22nd 03, 04:36 AM
Kevin G.

Default SB16 Emulation -- locking up keyboard?

Hello all,

I'm re-building an old system to use as a dedicated MAME machine.
This system is using an ABIT KT7A board, with an AMD T-Bird 1.33ghz
processor and 512mb memory. A very solid system when it ran Linux,
and again when I had it running Win98.

My intention is to run the DOS version of MAME, so I made sure to
setup the SB16 emulation drivers when setting up Liveware 3.0 -- I
followed these instructions:

http://proasm.totalconversions.com/prosbdos.html

What these instructions do NOT tell you, are the mods you need to make
to your autoexec.bat and config.sys. My current two files look as
such:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

Now when I'm in a DOS "window" within Win98, and I launch DOS MAME, I
get the prompt to select my audio card type -- where I choose option
#1 for Sound Blaster. My game of choice then does load in, and
voila... I have sound and everything is great.

However, when I exit out of Windows and go directly to a DOS prompt
and try the same, I do get my game of choice... but my keyboard is now
dead. I tried unplugging the keyboard and plugging back in to see if
this would solve the dilema, but no dice. I also tried all variations
of sound card options in DOS MAME, but still no go.

So to sum it up... when in pure DOS, the SB16 emulation drivers DO
load just fine, and they're initializing when I select Sound Blaster
as my sound of choice. But then I'm losing all keyboard functions.

Any ideas/suggestions??

Many thanks.

Kevin G.
Old July 22nd 03, 05:24 AM
Erik's Boot Disk

AUTOEXEC.BAT
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM - Move to top. this is

the initialization program.
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6

remove H7 and P330, also try I5 instead of I7

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe