Whining Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW

Old February 23rd 04, 07:20 AM
wheel

Default Whining Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW

I have a month old Plextor 52x32x52 CD-RW (Model PX-PREMIUM). From the
get go, it's made a strange whining sound every 10 minutes on the
button. I wrote to Plextor tech support and they said it must be
recalibratint, and if it's working properly then that was all that
counts. I don't think so. The whine lasts for a second or so. It is
louder than the rest of the pc at that time. It sounds exactly like a
miniature elephant is trumpeting in there. Someone else tell me this is
not typical, I think I need to send it back.
Old February 23rd 04, 08:21 PM
seeker

Make sure that somehow WinXP isn't "checking the drive"....I suppose
the easist way is to simply make a DOS boot disk...then see if the
sound occurs or not.

Also, do you have any CD software (like INCD, or Roxio packet writing
SW??? I've seen this 'junk" cause some strange stuff.

Good Luck

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:05:25 GMT, wheel wrote:

OK, and thanks. But the main issue is the noise, not if the 10 minute
event is normal. It makes no such noise when it's starting to read a CD.
It's very quiet in operation. Well, I guess it's defective. I was just
hoping that someone with an identical drive could confirm that theirs
does not make this sort of sound.

In article ,
says...
Nope, the only thing it can be is spin up/down.
No such thing as a cd rw drive doing what they said.
CD-RW will spin up, check for a disk then spin down..
There is no reason for it to recalibrate.
The only other thing could be the drive checking for a disk for some
reason(if some software on your pc makes it do that).

t...

Old February 24th 04, 01:51 AM
wheel

Thanks. I have no CD software at all installed, except for the stuff
that comes with XP.

I wish there was a plextor ng where I could ask someone with this cdrw
if they hear that noise or not. Anyways, I just can't imagine that it's
supposed to be like this, so I'm going to return it. Even if some
software is forcing the seek, it's making a noise unlike anything that
it makes while in operation, which makes me think it's faulty.

In article ,
says...
[...]

t...

Old February 24th 04, 11:50 AM
Curt

"wheel" wrote in message
t...

I wish there was a plextor ng where I could ask someone with this cdrw
if they hear that noise or not. Anyways, I just can't imagine that it's
supposed to be like this, so I'm going to return it. Even if some
software is forcing the seek, it's making a noise unlike anything that
it makes while in operation, which makes me think it's faulty.

I have the same Plextor model but there is no odd noise/sound whether it's
in use or not. Your drive is only a month old, take or send it back for a
replacement.

Curt.

Old February 24th 04, 05:40 PM
wheel

In article , no-no@no-
time.com says...
"wheel" wrote in message
t...

I wish there was a plextor ng where I could ask someone with this cdrw
if they hear that noise or not. Anyways, I just can't imagine that it's
supposed to be like this, so I'm going to return it. Even if some
software is forcing the seek, it's making a noise unlike anything that
it makes while in operation, which makes me think it's faulty.

I have the same Plextor model but there is no odd noise/sound whether it's
in use or not. Your drive is only a month old, take or send it back for a
replacement.

Curt.

THANK YOU! RMA in place.