MY COMPUTER DOESNT START AT ALL - SEEMS FRIED

Old October 14th 04, 01:03 AM
theborland

Default MY COMPUTER DOESNT START AT ALL - SEEMS FRIED

My home built computer Soyo K7VME w/ 2600xp, nice little system took a
surge (no surge protector) and seems to be dead.
when i plugged it in, nothing happens, no psu fan, nothing.

I wasnt sure how much damage has happened.
i tested the psu (seperately [closing circuit] and it works.
the motherboard apparently does not.
is there any way to test the damage so i know what to buy. is the cpu
gone, video card, hard drive?
thanks for any help anyone out there can give,
jeff borland

Old October 14th 04, 11:04 PM
Michael Hawes

"theborland" wrote in message
My home built computer Soyo K7VME w/ 2600xp, nice little system took a
surge (no surge protector) and seems to be dead.
when i plugged it in, nothing happens, no psu fan, nothing.

I wasnt sure how much damage has happened.
i tested the psu (seperately [closing circuit] and it works.
the motherboard apparently does not.
is there any way to test the damage so i know what to buy. is the cpu
gone, video card, hard drive?
thanks for any help anyone out there can give,
jeff borland

Disconnect all IDE cables, and remove all adapter cards and memory. CPU fan
should start and should beep continuous series of beeps. If not, is PSU,
motherboard or CPU. Can you borrow a known good PSU? You have NOT tested the
PSU if there was no load on it. PSU must produce 'Power Good' signal before
system will start.
Mike.

Old October 14th 04, 11:53 PM
w_tom

A defective power supply can still light indicator lamps
and spin fans. Without the 3.5 digit multimeter, you don't
know if power supply is good or bad. Anything else can appear
intermittent or failed if power supply does not completely
meet specs - voltage limits. Start with basics - how a power
supply is confirmed many times faster than it takes to swap
one out:
"Computer doesnt start at all" in alt.comp.hardware on 10
Jan 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/2t69q or
"I think my power supply is dead" in alt.comp.hardware on 5
Feb 2004 at
http://tinyurl.com/yvbw9

Old November 14th 04, 07:27 PM
!Allen Lasting

jeff,

what i'd do is swap out the power supply first and see what happens.
Sometimes the rc ckt that controls the risetime curve of the pin8 wafeform
changes, and when that happens you can get your symptoms.

Also, if your system boots with a different power supply, don't throw the
old one out, it'll probably work in other systems that are less critical.

Finally, before swapping anything, turn it all off. if the ps has a switch
on it turn it off, too. unplug it from you power source. Wait a minute or
so and,
Then plug it back in, and watch the keyboard when you hit the power switch
to turn it on. If the keyboard lights flash, you know, the onces over the
numperic keypad, that usually indicates the mobo/cpy combo is good.

Al

Computer Shutdown and Start itself!! Jeremy Leung General 1 December 10th 04 05:16 PM
Problems with start up any ideas please?? Blackrat999 Overclocking 4 May 29th 04 03:41 AM
Hewlett-Packard & Circuit City Richard E Sgrignoli General 2 March 17th 04 09:42 AM
Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time mr x General 6 February 26th 04 04:50 AM
Computer totally up shit creek Paul Harris Homebuilt PC's 18 February 10th 04 11:23 PM