Inspiron 1150 hangs in POST?

Old October 23rd 06, 06:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nigel Molesworth

Default Inspiron 1150 hangs in POST?

A friend's Inspiron 1150 suddenly rebooted, and now hangs about 2/3
way through the POST. Pressing F2 brings up the Starting Setup
message, but it still hangs in the same place. Any ideas?

--
Nigel M
Old October 23rd 06, 06:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

spyware/malware

Old October 23rd 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I'm not sure if we understand each other's terminology. POST = Power On Self
Test, a set of firmware run by the motherboard BIOS to assure that the hardware
is in reasonable operating state BEFORE the operating system begins to load.

If the computer is hanging during POST, this is a symptom of a potentially
serious hardware error.

If the computer hanging after POST while starting up Windows, there are a myriad
of possible causes... Ben Myers

Old October 23rd 06, 06:53 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

That stops the BIOS screen? That would be odd.

I'd guess a motherboard battery first.

Tom
"Jay B" wrote in message
spyware/malware

Old October 23rd 06, 06:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

also unplug any usb devices.
could be hanging on a device if really still in post.

Old October 24th 06, 01:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

I agree. My 8400 would hang toward the end of the scroll bar (Dell logo
screen) if I had a USB thumb drive plugged in. A friend's computer did the
same thing if he had his USB camera plugged in.

Old October 24th 06, 01:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Nigel Molesworth wrote:
A friend's Inspiron 1150 suddenly rebooted, and now hangs about 2/3
way through the POST. Pressing F2 brings up the Starting Setup
message, but it still hangs in the same place. Any ideas?

--
Nigel M

There are a couple of things you can try.

Yank the battery, and power cord. Wait a few minutes, try again.

If that doesn't cure it, you have an actual hardware problem of some
kind. Bad hard drives have been known to intefere with proper post. You
can see if reseating the RAM helps any.

Old October 24th 06, 04:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
***** charles

Can one assume that the Inspiron 1150, if it needs all the usb
devices disconnected, can not boot to a usb drive?

later.....

"Brian K" iibntgyea4 wrote in
message ...

Old October 24th 06, 06:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

No, my computer which froze with an ordinary USB thumb drive would boot to a
bootable USB thumb drive.

. net...