PB 60MHz Pentium shows up here!

Old December 5th 09, 04:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default PB 60MHz Pentium shows up here!

A Packard Bell 60MHz Socket 4 Pentium system showed up here yesterday as
part of a collection of out-of-service computers. The desktop case was
pretty munged up, but the motherboard appears to be in good shape. The
system had the original PB Aztec full-length ISA sound card, but
somebody replaced the antique 14.4 ISA modem and added a cheap PCI
graphics card.

Socket 4 is a rare beast, indeed, lasting about a New York minute in
Intel's scheme of things. Socket 4 CPUs ran hot at 5v, and they came
along just after the 66MHz 486-DX2, and before Intel got wise and cut
CPU voltages down to 3.3v with the Socket 5 Pentium and the 3.3v
mis-named 100MHz 486-DX4.

If anyone (Bob Watts, for example) is interested in this board, I can
test it along with its riser card. I have no means of testing the Aztec
sound card.

If it tests OK, the board goes to whichever PB collector who can give me
a few bucks for my time plus postage. Let me know.

If I don't hear from anyone in about 10 days, the board goes into my
board scrap pile and the CPU into the gold-bearing CPU pile, at around
$1200 an ounce. That's for pure gold, not for CPUs... Ben Myers
Old December 5th 09, 09:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Hi Ben!

Please send an email to:

ten.esuf@sttawbob

( that is backwards of course. :-)

Thanks

bob

Old December 16th 09, 12:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
William R. Walsh

Looks like the posts here are thinning out. I know I don't get here as often
as I should.

Until about two years ago, my mother's everyday computer was a PB Legend
100CD, complete with FDIV-flawed Socket 4 Pentium CPU. I still turn it on
every now and again, and it still works fine. The Aztech sound/modem card
and proprietary 4X CD went away a long time ago. (I still have the CD-ROM
drive, and it still works with another sound card.)

She and my dad bought it new back in '92. It doesn't seem like it was that
long ago. It began life with Windows 3.11 and made it all the way to Win98.

William

Old January 10th 10, 05:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
A Packard Bell 60MHz Socket 4 Pentium system showed up here yesterday as
part of a collection of out-of-service computers. The desktop case was
pretty munged up, but the motherboard appears to be in good shape. The
system had the original PB Aztec full-length ISA sound card, but somebody
replaced the antique 14.4 ISA modem and added a cheap PCI graphics card.

Don't need it but it's amazing how stuff just shows up here

yesterday a guy dropped off a carload of older computers and parts...

he emailed me back Nov of *2008* and said he had some stuff for
me.

His timing was good as I had just finished getting rid of most of my spare
junk

LOL

Old January 10th 10, 07:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Ben Myers[_2_]

philo wrote:
"Ben Myers" wrote in message
A Packard Bell 60MHz Socket 4 Pentium system showed up here yesterday as
part of a collection of out-of-service computers. The desktop case was
pretty munged up, but the motherboard appears to be in good shape. The
system had the original PB Aztec full-length ISA sound card, but somebody
replaced the antique 14.4 ISA modem and added a cheap PCI graphics card.

Don't need it but it's amazing how stuff just shows up here

yesterday a guy dropped off a carload of older computers and parts...

he emailed me back Nov of *2008* and said he had some stuff for
me.

His timing was good as I had just finished getting rid of most of my spare
junk

LOL

Bob Watts showed interest in it... Ben
Old January 10th 10, 08:22 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
philo[_2_]

Ben Myers wrote:
philo wrote:
"Ben Myers" wrote in message
A Packard Bell 60MHz Socket 4 Pentium system showed up here yesterday
as part of a collection of out-of-service computers. The desktop
case was pretty munged up, but the motherboard appears to be in good
shape. The system had the original PB Aztec full-length ISA sound
card, but somebody replaced the antique 14.4 ISA modem and added a
cheap PCI graphics card.

Don't need it but it's amazing how stuff just shows up here

yesterday a guy dropped off a carload of older computers and parts...

he emailed me back Nov of *2008* and said he had some stuff for
me.

His timing was good as I had just finished getting rid of most of my
spare junk

LOL

Bob Watts showed interest in it... Ben

Yes I know

I just stated that I do not need it

Old January 11th 10, 10:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts[_2_]

HI Ben !

Now that the holidaze are behind us, did you get a list of stuff together
that you may want to sell with the Packard Bell Socket 4 board?

bob