WriteDVD

Old November 6th 03, 11:11 PM
Phil Carroll

Default WriteDVD

I have a new LG "Super Multi DVD Writer" (model # GSA 4040B) This
drive writes a very wide variety of media. (CD-R/RW, DVD+/-R/RW,
DVD-RAM)

The drive works fine with the Maxell 3x DVD-RAM disk included in the
box, and also with Ritek 2x DVD-RAM media I bought from Meritline.com
for about $4 per disk. There doesn't seem to be any 3x DVD-RAM media
offered for sale anywhere, even the Maxell media.

I also have some CD-R and CD-RW media purchased a long time ago that
seem to work fine with it. It is somewhat disconcerting to have two
different drive letters, one for DVD-RAM only, and the other for all
other formats.

In the box are two different UDF drivers. One for the DVD-RAM that is
identified in the version info as written by Matsu****a and a
different one (B's Clip) for DVD/CD-RW formats. I find this somewhat
clumsy, and my usage of the drive will be mostly with UDF.

On a Web search, I came up with "WriteDVD!" from Softarch.com. This
claims to be a unified UDF driver and integrated writer for all
formats this drive supports. There does not seem to be much else.

SAI does not offer an evaluation version for testing, so I would like
all the info I can get before plunking down a C-note. Does anybody
have any experience with the current version of WriteDVD? Or, past
versions, for that matter.

Also, if I use it, would that eliminate one of the drive letters? I am
guessing the reason for two letters is because of the different UDF
drivers.

Phil