New Build - For Xmas Pressie

Old November 12th 03, 08:20 PM
Paul

Default New Build - For Xmas Pressie

Hi,
I'm planning to build my brother a new PC as a present for Xmas this
year. Naturally, he does not know I'm planning this so I can't tackle
him for what spec might be most appropriate. However, I have set
myself a budget of £400 which I think should be plenty to move him up
from the now very dated Pentium 200Mhz Time Machine he currently has.

I've pretty much decided what to buy but could do with some feedback
regarding a couple of items I have selected. Plus I'd be interested to
hear of your views and any issues/problems anyone is aware of with the
parts I have selected...

From CCL Computers (not used them before - opinions?)...

Case - ATX Midi Tower 9950 Ref: CAS0003

From Ebuyer (used them a lot and comfortable using them)...

OS - Microsoft XP Home OEM Service Pack 1A

Motherboard - Asus A7V8X-X KT400 Sound/LAN/USB2

Processor - Athlon XP2200 266FSB 256 Cache Retail

Memory - Crucial 512Mb DDR333 PC2700 DIMM

CDRW - LG 52x32x52x OEM

Floppy - Panasonic 1.44mb OEM

Choices...

Hard Disk:

Seagate Barracuda 40Gb 7200rpm UDMA100 or... Seagate Barracuda 80Gb
7200rpm UDMA100 +£10 (I have two of the later myself)

GFX Card:

Gainward FX 5200 Powerpack Pro 660 8x AGP 128MB DDR Video-Out DVI
Retail or... Sapphire Radeon 9200 128MB DDR TV-Out DVI-Out Retail +£5

The overall cost ranging from £389 to £400.

No monitor, keyboard, mouse or speakers - that's up to my brother to
use his existing stuff or replace it. ;-)

Could also be tempted to drop the GFX card altogether and go for the
on-board GFX version of the same motherboard? =-s

Anyway, very much appreciate any feedback, pretty much set on the spec
other than the GFX card, that and finding out about any problems -
seems to check out compatibility wise from what I've checked. Xmas is
looming much get this sorted soon!

Old November 12th 03, 11:19 PM
horse

snip

I've not ordered from CCL Computers myself, but a mate of mine who wanted to
build his own PC (or should that be: me to build his PC for him?) ordered
several items from CCL - apparently good prices, and the kit seemed to be
OK).

The PC's been reliable for a couple of years now, so the stuff they supply
is as good as anywhere.

Just my 2p's worth.

Regards,

Horse
Old November 14th 03, 12:53 AM
Paul

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 23:19:04 +0000, horse wrote:

Thanks for that - already ordered the case from them and the bit from
Ebuyer. ;-)

snip