SCSI trouble

Old June 23rd 03, 08:33 AM
Alien Zord

Default SCSI trouble

wrote in message
ganews.com...
I am having trouble with my SCSI tape drive. It's an Exabyte 8505 in

an
external case. It wasn't working, so my friend brought over another
today, and hooked it up. SCSI card couldn't find it (or the prior

one,
when attached.) We switched power and scsi cables, slots, and even

tried
a different SCSI card - no joy. The device wasn't found.

Any idea what the problem is? The second drive worked at his place,

so we
know it's okay, even if mine isn't.

Check power, SCSI ID and termination.
Power: is the LED on? Does it accept tapes?
SCSI ID: the drive has jumpers for selecting the ID. I usually choose 4
for tape drive (0,1 for HDDs, 2,3 for CDROMs, 5 for ZIP, 6 for scanner,
7 is the SCSI controller itself).
Termination: both ends of a SCSI chain need to be terminated. How many
devices have you got? Is it just the tape and the controller? If yes,
then the tape drive has 3 resistor packs next to the interface
connector. Are they there? Most SCSI controllers have auto termination
capability. Can you enter the SCSI BIOS and see the settings? With
Adaptec cards its ctlr-A, with Symbios its ctrl-F. The BIOS screen
should display the required key combo.

Old June 25th 03, 03:08 AM
Doug Holtz

wrote in message
ganews.com...
I am having trouble with my SCSI tape drive. It's an Exabyte 8505 in an
external case. It wasn't working, so my friend brought over another
today, and hooked it up. SCSI card couldn't find it (or the prior one,
when attached.) We switched power and scsi cables, slots, and even tried
a different SCSI card - no joy. The device wasn't found.

Any idea what the problem is? The second drive worked at his place, so we
know it's okay, even if mine isn't.

Thanks,

Alan

**** Please use address ) to reply via e-mail. ****

Posted using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Alan is on the right track. You have to jumper the drive for an ID and you
have to terminate the scsi cable, usually with a jumper on the last device
(in this case, the drive itself). Boot and run the scsi config utility.

Doug