AMD64 vs. a floating point operation (FLOP)

Old June 10th 04, 07:52 PM
Only NoSpammers

Default AMD64 vs. a floating point operation (FLOP)

Hi,

Does anyone know how much of a floating point operation (FLOP) can a 3GHz
AMD64 CPU give?

--
Mazi

Old June 11th 04, 12:55 AM
Jason Cothran

"Only NoSpammers" wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| Does anyone know how much of a floating point operation (FLOP) can a 3GHz
| AMD64 CPU give?

When one is sold, we will let you know wink.

Old June 11th 04, 01:07 AM
Jason Cothran

But, FWIW, my 2GHz mobile A64 gives 3200+MFLOPs (3,200,000,000+/- FLOPs,
3.2+ "GigaFLOPs") FPU, and 4100+MFLOPs(4,100,000,000+ FLOPs, 4.1+
"GigaFLOPs") iSSE2. Both measurements quoted from within a 32bit
invironment.

Old June 20th 04, 05:27 PM
neil s

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:56:33 -0500, Early 2 Riz wrote:

I was not aware that there was an AMD64 CPU running at 3GHz ???

"Only NoSpammers" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know how much of a floating point operation (FLOP) can a 3GHz
AMD64 CPU give?

--
Mazi

Not without some very extreme cooling on the exotic end of the scale....

Old June 20th 04, 05:29 PM
Neil

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 12:27:38 -0400, neil s wrote:

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:56:33 -0500, Early 2 Riz wrote:

I was not aware that there was an AMD64 CPU running at 3GHz ???

"Only NoSpammers" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know how much of a floating point operation (FLOP) can a 3GHz
AMD64 CPU give?

--
Mazi

Not without some very extreme cooling on the exotic end of the scale....

maybe even take dry ice or liquid nitrogen to get there would believe
Old June 22nd 04, 02:38 PM
Only NoSpammers

"neil s" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:56:33 -0500, Early 2 Riz wrote:

I was not aware that there was an AMD64 CPU running at 3GHz ???

"Only NoSpammers" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone know how much of a floating point operation (FLOP) can a

3GHz
AMD64 CPU give?

--
Mazi

Not without some very extreme cooling on the exotic end of the scale....

Did U mean an AMD64 3200+ would not deliver a 3.2GFLOPS without a very
extreme cooling? The Emotion Chip on a Playstation2 that runs @300MHz only
requires a huge heatsink to deliver a whopping 6.02GFLOPS.

--
Mazi

Old June 22nd 04, 02:51 PM
Jason Cothran

| Did U mean an AMD64 3200+ would not deliver a 3.2GFLOPS without a very
| extreme cooling? The Emotion Chip on a Playstation2 that runs @300MHz only
| requires a huge heatsink to deliver a whopping 6.02GFLOPS.
|
| --
| Mazi

I must be special then. My 2GHz AMD64 3200+ with stock cooling in a notebook
gives over 3.2GFLOPS FPU and over 4.1GFLOPS iSSE2, which of course doesn't
mean anything unless you are using it to compare to processors with
identical instruction sets.

Old June 27th 04, 03:55 PM
Only NoSpammers

R those specs of 3200+ @ a bursting or sustaining rate?