AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed Complexity

Old April 29th 04, 12:35 AM
LongBow

Default AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed Complexity

Learned scholars,

My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed
Complexity.

The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.

Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At 110mhz,
speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.

At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
RAM to set back to default setting.

At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz

Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?

pls advise. thanks.
Old April 29th 04, 03:53 AM
Stacey

LongBow wrote:

Learned scholars,

My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has
Speed Complexity.

The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
100mhz. Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.

Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At
110mhz,
speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz,
BIOS displayed 'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.

At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the BIOS
RAM to set back to default setting.

At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz

Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed athlon?

Sounds like a ram issue to me..
--

Stacey
Old April 29th 04, 08:09 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:35:25 -0700, LongBow wrote:

Learned scholars,

My AthlonXP 2000 on MSI KT4AV with (VIA KT400A) chipset Mainboard has Speed
Complexity.

The displayed CPU speed on startup BIOS is 1.25gHz with FSB setting of
100mhz.

That's what it should be with default12.5 multiplier.

Actual speed of Athlon XP2000 is 1.67ghz as provided by AMD.

If you set the FSB to 133, it will be.

Upon changing of FSB settings to 105mhz, speed rises to 1.275ghz. At
110mhz, speed is 1.330ghz. When set to 133mhz, BIOS displayed
'ATHlonXP 2000' but then system went into a lockup/hanged.

As it should, except without the lockups.

At 266mhz, system could not be booted. I have to manually flash the
BIOS RAM to set back to default setting.

12.5x266=3325Mhz. You didn't really expect it to work at that speed did
you. Forget the bogus 266MHz. The default FSB for the CPu is 133MHz.

At 110fsbmhz cpu=1330ghz, system is not that stable. BIOS settings
sometimes will jump back to default 100mhz. Currently system is stable
under 100mhz cpu=1.25ghz

Or maube i was conned by the pc dealer into getting a lower speed
athlon?

Nope. It's a 2000+. Just don't know which model. Palomino, Tbred A, or
Tbred B.

pls advise. thanks.

Best guess from the info you provided, ram or ram settings problem.

Old April 29th 04, 12:36 PM
Dothan

I think you didn't read the Manual is it? AMD Socket A (452 pins)
Motherboard got 1 jumper to set the FSB either in 100MHz or 133Mhz mode.
The default setting for that jumper is 100Mhz.
When it is set at 100Mhz, your frequency divider for AGP and PCI is 2/3
and 1/3 respectively.
Frequency divider for 133MHz is 66/133 and 33/133 respectively
So... if you use BIOS to "overlock" it from 100 till 133MHz... (imagine
2/3 * 133 is not equal 66/133) this will raise the bus speed for AGP and
PCI. Consequently your system will hang or not stable.
Try to locate the FSB Jumper.

P/S : That FSB jumper is not meant for overclocking, it is just for
dividing the frequency for AGP and PCI. FSB can be raised by BIOS.

Old April 30th 04, 09:10 AM
ll

Manually flash the BIOS, how?

Old May 2nd 04, 12:10 AM
junxion

ll wrote:
Manually flash the BIOS, how?

tests;ef'
sefv

Old May 2nd 04, 12:23 AM
Nanyang

i did read the manual but nowhere can i find anything that says there is a
jumper that u mentioned.
I think you didn't read the Manual is it?

yups one techie told me about this in KL's low yat plaza. thanks for ur
help.