VIDEO CARD FAILURE

Old December 21st 04, 04:29 PM
Chopperdad

Default VIDEO CARD FAILURE

I've been getting the usual 1 long beep and 2 short beeps whenever I
cold-boot my 6 year old computer up (Windows 98SE), which indicates a
failure in the video system. The way around this is to keep the computer
running 24/7, which I am doing now. The question that I have is this a
failure of the video card only or is it possible that the motherboard is
also going bad too. This has been going on since May and sometimes it may
take 10 or more tries to get the system to start up right from a cold boot.

I ask because when it occurs, what I have to do is repeatedly shut the
computer off and then on again by pressing the power button on the front
until I finally get the opening video screen. Once I have the computer
booted up it is no problem on reboots, which of course are common with the
system. I have a spare video card (the original 8 Mb ATI), but if the
problem is the motherboard, then I would be wasting my time trying to swap
out video cards and would be better just to replace the board or get a new
computer.

Thanks,
Ron

Old December 21st 04, 04:54 PM
Ben Myers

Ron,

In a way, you've answered your own question. The easiest way to tell which
component is failing is to swap in known good components one at a time. Try the
spare 8MB ATI video card. If the system works without the video failure beeps,
then the cause was the old card. If not, then the possible causes of failure
are the motherboard or maybe even a weakened and failing power supply.

I know of no easier way to isolate the cause of hardware failure... Ben Myers

Old December 21st 04, 05:10 PM
Chopperdad

Hadn't thought about the power supply. The card is the easiest to swap out
so I will try that.

Thanks,

Old December 22nd 04, 02:04 PM
Chopperdad

Well I replaced the video card (ATI Rage 8 Mb AGP 2x) and that is not the
problem. So I would assume that it is the power supply that is probably it.
Considering that this is a Gateway G6-400 getting a replacement power supply
will be next to impossible since their configuration of their ATX models are
unique to Gateway.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:17 PM
Craig

"Chopperdad" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

See if any of these will work
http://search.store.yahoo.com/cgi-bi...power+supplies

If not try ebay.

Craig

Old December 22nd 04, 02:41 PM
Ben Myers

RSVP with the dimensions between mounting screws, wattage, depth, and whether or
not the power supply has an external fan, i.e. a fan mounted outside the power
supply "box" but inside the chassis, of course.

Some months ago, I bought a stack of surplus new gw2k power supplies. If I have
one that fits, it's yours for a modest price + exact shipping... Ben Myers

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 09:04:39 -0500, "Chopperdad" wrote:

Well I replaced the video card (ATI Rage 8 Mb AGP 2x) and that is not the
problem. So I would assume that it is the power supply that is probably it.
Considering that this is a Gateway G6-400 getting a replacement power supply
will be next to impossible since their configuration of their ATX models are
unique to Gateway.

.. .

Old December 22nd 04, 02:41 PM
Ben Myers

One caveat. The problem could still be the motherboard, not the power supply.
But, then, the only way to find out is to try another known good power supply.
Isoalting the cause of failure is a tedious one-steo-at-a-time process.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:25 PM
Tom Clydesdale

I have a G6-400 tower model that had a power supply failure - ordered an
Antec model ATX12V (350watt) from New Egg.Com. It fitted and worked
perfectly, the only "difference" was an extra power lead for the newer cpu's
which wasn't needed or used. Cost about $45 if my memory is close to
correct.

Old December 23rd 04, 12:55 AM
S.Lewis

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
One caveat. The problem could still be the motherboard, not the power
supply.
But, then, the only way to find out is to try another known good power
supply.
Isoalting the cause of failure is a tedious one-steo-at-a-time process.

... Ben Myers

This is good advice. The problem could still be the system board. It's
unlikely a simple go-no go PS tester will indicate a bad PS, so the OP is
definitely in a spot unless he's handy with a multimeter/volt meter.

Stew

Old December 23rd 04, 11:27 PM
William R. Walsh

Hi!

If you have one handy, try an older PCI video card. Even most modern systems
will "know" how to use the card automatically. I've seen AGP slots (or
presumably their controlling logic?) go bad and "saved" a few systems where
high end graphics were not important by simply using an older PCI video
card.

William