Fan Noise - Riva TNT2 Mod 64

Old August 25th 04, 04:23 PM
Bill Martin

Default Fan Noise - Riva TNT2 Mod 64

I've got three monitors on my system, one being a built in Intel adapter and
two being Nvidia Riva TNT2 Mod 64 PCI cards. I'm not sure if the fan noise
from the nvidia cards is getting worse or just whether my tolerance has been
declining over the past year.

Anyhow, my question is whether one can do anything to cripple some of the
functions on the card to reduce its power consumption and thus kill the fan.
I just use the monitors for routine business graphics and have no need at all
for high speed or 3D or whatever. I have gone into the WinXP system and
dropped the hardware accelerator setting to zip, but have not seen any other
controls which might help any. I'm using the default XP driver for the card
by the way.

If I get a driver directly from nvidia will that help me any? Or do I just
need to scrap the cards and get an old Matrox dual monitor card with no fans
in the first place?

Thanks...

Bill -- (Remove KILLSPAM from my address to use it)
Old August 26th 04, 04:08 AM
Lary Roberts

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:23:57 GMT, Bill Martin
wrote:

[...]

I have an old 32MB TnT2 M64 AGP in my closet. It had came with
a fan, but at the end of it's use, the fan quit working. I took the
fan off, and just ran it with the heat sink. It never overheated, but
I never tried overclocking it either.
Just run it without the fan. As long as the heatsink is still
attached to the chip, I doubt you'll have any problems. Mine ran 3D
games fine using only the heatsink.
Old August 26th 04, 05:11 AM
Augustus

Anyhow, my question is whether one can do anything to cripple some of the
functions on the card to reduce its power consumption and thus kill the

fan.
I just use the monitors for routine business graphics and have no need at

all
for high speed or 3D or whatever. I have gone into the WinXP system and
dropped the hardware accelerator setting to zip, but have not seen any

other
controls which might help any. I'm using the default XP driver for the

card
by the way.

I would simply remove the hs/f altogether and stick on a simple passive hs
salvaged from an old passive CPU or video. A TNT2 of any kind does not
generate much heat.