Nforce mobo drivers take care of video card drivers?

Old April 28th 04, 09:03 AM
fenceerx

Default Nforce mobo drivers take care of video card drivers?

Hi, I have a Soltek nforce2 motherboard. No onboard graphics (IGP) so I got
an MX 440 video card. Mobo is the 75frn-l also known as 75frn2-l

Have been having stability problems so I reinstalled windows XP and this
time I did not install Nvidia graphics card drivers. I just installed the
nforce unified driver for the motherboard. The latest one from the Nvidia
website. A download of 12.9 MB

Going by the hardware device manager, the display adapter drivers are
working just fine. And are identified as for a Geforce4 MX 440

This time the board is working much better

Thanks
Fenz

Old April 28th 04, 10:08 AM
Daniel Crichton

"fenceerx" wrote in message
Hi, I have a Soltek nforce2 motherboard. No onboard graphics (IGP) so I

got
an MX 440 video card. Mobo is the 75frn-l also known as 75frn2-l

Have been having stability problems so I reinstalled windows XP and this
time I did not install Nvidia graphics card drivers. I just installed the
nforce unified driver for the motherboard. The latest one from the Nvidia
website. A download of 12.9 MB

Going by the hardware device manager, the display adapter drivers are
working just fine. And are identified as for a Geforce4 MX 440

This time the board is working much better

Have you tried any OpenGL games? IIRC the graphics driver that ships with XP
does not support OpenGL, only DirectX. The nForce motherboard drivers do not
include the nVidia graphics card drivers, you are simply using the default
one that comes with XP.

Dan

Old April 28th 04, 09:25 PM
Ryan

Daniel Crichton wrote:
"fenceerx" wrote in message

[...]

that is not true if you look at the end of the nForce mobo driver page
you see that it comes with drivers. they should work..i have an nForce
2 mobo and 5700 Ultra and it works great. the drivers it comes with are
old though
Old April 28th 04, 10:51 PM
Spacker

"Ryan" wrote in message
Daniel Crichton wrote:
"fenceerx" wrote in message

[...]

I stand corrected. I assumed that the nForce drivers would not include
display drivers as not every nForce based machine would have an nVidia card,
and therefore it would be silly to include them :\ However, the 52.16
drivers that ship with the current nForce drivers have known issues with
some games (most notably the Desert Combat mod for Battlefield 1942), so I
personally wouldn't use them anyway.

Dan

Newbie questions po Asus Motherboards 2 January 14th 05 07:19 PM
Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card Andy Kuo General 1 November 5th 04 03:10 AM
Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card Andy Kuo Ati Videocards 1 November 5th 04 03:10 AM
New Video Card AGP B&B Musmon Overclocking AMD Processors 1 August 29th 04 02:25 PM
ATI SUCKS!!!! DO NOT BUY ATI PRODUCTS OR YOU'LL BE SORRY!! Tim Reed Ati Videocards 53 January 30th 04 06:43 AM