NVIDIA GeForce2: Seeking the Latest Compatible Drivers & Installation Instructions

Old October 7th 03, 09:29 PM
Anonymous

"Dodge Tom" inquiries...

Have you ever updated DirectX to 9.0?

(even this videocard you have now isn't DX9, just a DX7 card. It will run
fine in DX9 but not act like a DX9 card as pure DX9cards such as GeForceFX
series and ATI 9500 and up series CAN.)

I updated to DirectX 9.0 well before confronting the issue that
prompted my query. No problems then. The "pre-detonator" driver I've
installed also seems(?) to function well with it.

JB
Old October 7th 03, 10:30 PM
Biz

You really sound like a lawyer..which of course almost always makes you an
idiot...
"Anonymous" wrote in message
om...
"Biz" writes

I run the 45.23's flawlessly on a GF2 MX card. SO the problem is your
system NOT the drivers. Perhaps the 30.82's are more suited to your

system.
They are available from www.nvidia.com, go to downloads drivers archives
section....

Follow the friggin instructions in the readme file included with the

drive
download. it couldnt be simpler...

At least this reply imparts one piece of useful information.

After thoroughly removing NVIDIA'S Detonator 45.23 driver,
reinstalling it, and continuing to experience start-up slowness and
crashes, it seems that this driver is indeed incompatible with my
system. I installed the 30.82 driver, and everything now seems to be
functioning normally.

For directing me to the 30.82 driver, I thank you.

However, please note:

1. Page 8 of the release notes for the 45.23 driver list my NVIDIA
videocard (The GeForce2 Pro) as one of the devices supported by it.

2. NVIDIA's Software Downloads Page likewise guides all users of its
GeForce Videocards to the 45.23 driver as being the latest compatible
driver. _No_ mention is made of the 30.82 driver as an alternative.

I was attentive to the instructions given for installing this driver.
Your insinuation that I was not is uninformed and presumptuous.

The download instructions are indeed "friggin", but -- in my situation
at least -- they were hardly simple.

Hence my query.

JB

Old October 7th 03, 10:37 PM
Lenny

1. Page 8 of the release notes for the 45.23 driver list my NVIDIA
videocard (The GeForce2 Pro) as one of the devices supported by it.

Yes? The driver IS compatible with GF2 Pro, which is just a faster clocked
version of GF2 GTS. As previous poster suggested, your system is having
'issues', causing this erratic behavior. You might well have a borked
windows install, bad BIOS settings or some dodgy piece of hardware
installed.

2. NVIDIA's Software Downloads Page likewise guides all users of its
GeForce Videocards to the 45.23 driver as being the latest compatible
driver. _No_ mention is made of the 30.82 driver as an alternative.

That's because A: Nvidia provides these drivers without any guarantee
they'll work for any reason. They want you to go to your manufacturer's
website instead. B: 30.82 really isn't an alternative, it's just an older
driver version, one of many older driver versions. They all work pretty much
the same, with some notable exceptions from the norm - usually for the
worse. I've never heard of an "extra-compatible" driver, that's just urban
myths.

I was attentive to the instructions given for installing this driver.
Your insinuation that I was not is uninformed and presumptuous.

He didn't insinuate anything of the sort. Stop being so god-damn uptight and
realize the guy's trying to help you. Your commanding style - 'you, whelp,
assist me!' in your original post is what caused all this. I see you bitched
and whined in two previous replies. So those two people weren't helpful, so
what? Are they *oblieged* to help you? Hell no. Just give it a rest, move on
to the next post and get over it. Complaining about it just makes you look
silly.

The download instructions are indeed "friggin", but -- in my situation
at least -- they were hardly simple.

Click the link, agree to the license, save to harddrive. What's so hard
about downloading the darn thing? Installing it isn't much worse really,
uninstall old driver, reboot, re-detect card, reboot, run exe file to
install new driver, reboot. A bit of a hassle maybe but hardly the end of
the world.

Old October 7th 03, 11:08 PM
Me

It's no problem.

Have you tried the method I posted ? If so how did you get on?

If I remember correctly Windows XP should have it's own drivers that
recognize that video card.
They are older and slower drivers but should work in the first instance.
Version 29.58 or similar I think.
If you remove the new Nvidia drivers and restart then Windows may identify
the card and use these older drivers by default. If it does then maybe test
the system with them before continuing.

Post back with your findings.

"Anonymous" wrote in message
om...
"Me" writes...

Using the Add/Remove programs from within the control panel - Remove the
Nvidia drivers.
restart.
Don't attempt to install any drivers yet.
Download a Detonator removal program to fully remove the remains of the
drivers.
Search for Nasty File Remover or Detonator Destroyer.
http://www.softnews.ro/public/cat/12/1/12-1-28.shtml
http://www.guru3d.com/detonator-destroyer/
Read the instruction before removing files.
After another restart then install the Latest Nvidia drivers by running

the
included setup.exe

Thank you for directing me to the Detonator Destroyer utility.

Thank you as well for the civil and professional discourse.

JB

Old October 7th 03, 11:10 PM
Me

Why not share some of your "light" then and help this person.

"BJ" wrote in message
t...
Likewise. Wonder why someone so totally in the dark tries to do something
like this?
"Helion" wrote in message
om...
Feel like I was just supoenaed....

"Anonymous" wrote in message
om...
10/6/03

REQUEST:

1. I need to know how to obtain the latest _compatible_ drivers for an
NVIDIA GeForce2 Pro Video Card.

2. I need simple, detailed, and correct instructions on how install
these drivers so that it will run properly on my Windows XP PC with a
1.2 Ghrz Athlon processor, SoundBlaster Live 5.1 soundcard, and 512 MB
RAM.

2(a). These instructions may(?) include guidance on how to reverse the
effects of my prior attempts at installing what were apparently(?)
incompatible drivers (See HISTORY, below).

HISTORY:

Recently, I downloaded from the Microsoft Windows Update Website an
updated version of the drivers that they _represented_ as being
compatible with NVIDIA's GeForce2 Video Card.

The driver they offered wasn't compatible. It took serveral "blue
screens" -- and reboots -- before I could get my computer to start
properly. Prior to this download, there were no problems. Clearly
something was wrong ("Thanks" again, Microsoft!).

In an attempt to resolve the problem, I went directly to NVIDIA's
website, seeking support for this issue.

No support was provided. What NVIDIA laughingly calls "support" are
some FAQ's (I wasn't able to find any that addressed this issue) and
links to their latest drivers.

In the hope that downloading the latest driver NVIDIA offered for the
GeForce2 _might_ fix the problem, I downloaded and installed what the
company _represents_ as being the compatible driver -- Detonator FX
Drivers, Version 45.23 (August 13, 2003).

This driver also failed to function as installed -- More blue
"screens" & reboots.

On Google Groups, I located at least one posting that seemed to
address this issue. The posting was titled "GeForce2 MX/MX 400 and
Drivers 45.23" and can be linked he

http://www.google.com/groups?selm=bj...&output=gplain

I _tried_ to follow the advice contained therein, but was apparently
not able to delete all of the old NVIDIA drivers recommended by the
poster (When I tried to install the Driver 45.23, I was told that
there were still copies of the old files that needed to be
overwritten.). Nor am I eager to repeat this file-purging effort,
lest I get rid of files that may screw up my computer more so than it
is already!

CURRENT SITUATION:

At present, I am making do with a generic driver which does not scroll
particularly well. I need a driver for my GeForce 2 Pro Video Card
that is both fully compatible and functional, and I need to know how
to properly install it.

Here's hoping someone out there can provide partial or -- better yet
-- full assistance of the kind requested above.

Thanks are offered in advance to all who can.

John Burke

Old October 8th 03, 10:20 PM
Anonymous

"Lenny"

Thank you for your input regarding the compatiblity of the GeForce2
Pro with the 45.23 driver.

Perchance there is something in my setup that is amiss. All I know
for sure is that...
1. The new driver doesn't work.
2. The old driver does.
3. I can't see any reason why I should "upgrade".
4. I'm really ****ed -- This whole thing was so annoying, and wasted
so much of my time...

As to your views about the legitimacy of my reaction to the feedback
to my posting, all I can say is that I find your opinion bizarre.

* My initial posting began with the words "REQUEST" -- a request is
not a command.

* As for my "style" being commanding? What your deem commanding, I
consider being legitimately aggrieved: I'm a customer whose _trying_
to get help from NVIDIA with an updated driver that's represented as
working with their videocard. I didn't find it at their website. Why
the company bothers calling what I saw there "support" is
unfathomable!

* When I come to this newsgroup -- the only source of input on NVIDIA
videocards I've been able to locate -- I got a lot of unprofessional,
****y comments that do nothing to help resolve my issue, and serve
only to aggravate me further!

* I've been seeking advice for computer problems on newsgroups for
years. This is the first time I've encountered such invidiousness
(This pun is intended and, IMHO, warranted.). By my experience, the
attitude assumed here is neither typical, nor appropriate.

I don't know if this is the fault of NVIDIA's corporate culture (if it
is, then perchance "barbarism" is a more fitting term), or the result
of a bunch of freelancers who consider such conduct a strangely
enjoyable pastime. All I know is that all this is _really_
unnecessary, and should stop!

For whatever this might be worth,

JB
Old October 9th 03, 02:43 AM
Darthy

On 8 Oct 2003 14:20:32 -0700, (Anonymous) wrote:

3. I can't see any reason why I should "upgrade".
4. I'm really ****ed -- This whole thing was so annoying, and wasted
so much of my time...

As to your views about the legitimacy of my reaction to the feedback
to my posting, all I can say is that I find your opinion bizarre.

And you're wondering why you're being flamed...

* My initial posting began with the words "REQUEST" -- a request is
not a command.

Wording was rather commanding....

How difficult is it to double click on a driver icon?

* As for my "style" being commanding? What your deem commanding, I
consider being legitimately aggrieved: I'm a customer whose _trying_
to get help from NVIDIA with an updated driver that's represented as
working with their videocard. I didn't find it at their website. Why
the company bothers calling what I saw there "support" is
unfathomable!

1 - You are NOT anyone's customer here.
2 - Nobody in newsgroups OWE you anything. You have NO "legit"
reason to be aggrivated towards people in this or any other
newsgroup.
3 - With all the hardware combos, there very few "perfect" drivers out
there... it could be your card, it could be your other hardware it
could be software.

4 - Nividia did not manufacture your card. The support is "genera"
drivers that should work on any card. Any real support is to the
manufacture, not Nvidia. If you want Support from the GPU designer,
you'd need to go with ATI.

* When I come to this newsgroup -- the only source of input on NVIDIA
videocards I've been able to locate -- I got a lot of unprofessional,
****y comments that do nothing to help resolve my issue, and serve
only to aggravate me further!

Uh? What professional comments were you expecting? Nobody gets paid
a dime to help others here. Some are more helpful than others... You
act like a jerk - you get jerky comments back. Perhaps you need to
talk to your doctor about your meds?

I don't know if this is the fault of NVIDIA's corporate culture (if it
is, then perchance "barbarism" is a more fitting term), or the result
of a bunch of freelancers who consider such conduct a strangely
enjoyable pastime. All I know is that all this is _really_
unnecessary, and should stop!

Hmmm.... perhaps you shouldn't venture out much, you really have
serious PEOPLE issues.

You could start your own newsgroup or Nvidia support group and make
yourself moderator - then it can run the way you want it to!

Yep... you got the responses you deserved, from the type of post you
started.

If you're such a novice, all you had to say "I'm an idiot - please
explain to me - like a 7yr old how to install a driver, because I
barely know how to turn on my computer"... and you would have gotten
friendlier help.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old October 9th 03, 04:25 AM
Biz

John Burke, its your attitude that got you into trouble with the way you
write and demand that someone fix your problems, which were all
self-inflicted.

1. You dont have to apply any MS update you dont want to. If you are
letting Windows Update apply all without checking them first, thats your
mistake, noone elses.

When you need help, you come here and ask, if you re-read your OP, you would
find that you didnt ask nicely at all, in fact you were quite the ass in the
way you stated a bunch of crap that had nothing to do with anyone here.

Here's a way to take all that crap you spewed forth in your OP and gotten
everything you needed.

"I let Windows Update install the newest drivers(45.23) for my GF2 card,
they dont work well if at all, can anyone recommend a better driver that and
how to go about getting them installed properly?"

THATS ALL THAT WAS NEEDED....
om...

Old October 9th 03, 12:48 PM
Lenny

1. The new driver doesn't work.
2. The old driver does.
3. I can't see any reason why I should "upgrade".

Then DON'T?

There are millions of different PC configs out there, quite frankly it's a
small miracle stuff works as well as it actually does. Of course some
drivers are going to hose SOME systems! Some drivers hose a statistically
larger percentage of systems too due to overly excited attempts at
optimizing performance or ordinary programming bugs that weren't caught
during beta testing (or thought as not being as severe as they actually
were).

Early 3x.xx series drivers had a very peculiar tendency to bluescreen with
an "infinite loop" error on win2k/xp systems for example. I must have seen
hundreds of people complaining about that bug here and on various other
internet forums. Some drivers simply don't work very well, but I haven't
heard much of anything in the way of problems with current WHQL drivers
Nvidia has to offer.

4. I'm really ****ed -- This whole thing was so annoying, and wasted
so much of my time...

Well, it was you who chose to waste it. It seems to me you're directing your
blame in the wrong direction. Upgrading drivers is always a certain risk,
nobody can guarantee any driver or software/hardware of any kind will work
on a particular system.

As to your views about the legitimacy of my reaction to the feedback
to my posting, all I can say is that I find your opinion bizarre.

Yeah, considering your past behavior, that would seem logical yes.

* My initial posting began with the words "REQUEST" -- a request is
not a command.

Except the tone of your post was very dictating, which some here pointed out
to you in a more or less subtle fashion. You again choose to misdirect
blame, which is unfortunate.

Like I said, nobody's *oblieged* to help you here, so you have no right to
be annoyed in any way whatsoever about the quality of help you receive. If
you find people aren't helpful, it certainly won't improve things by posting
prissy complaints about it back to the newsgroup, you just look like a whiny
ass who turns his nose up at a free apple because it was a bit wrinkly.

You take what's offered either as is, or ask again (preferably in a polite
fashion) to get more info. What you do NOT do is complain, because people
post here in their own spare time without any compensation from anyone. Do
you often complain to people around you they don't help you enough for free,
or that their free help in your view isn't helpful ENOUGH?

* As for my "style" being commanding? What your deem commanding, I
consider being legitimately aggrieved

Perhaps so, but you're doing it in a somewhat abrasive - and yes,
COMMANDING - manner, which is why people reacted. Further complaints about
the way people percieve you really isn't going to help you any further. Only
thing that will is adjusting your own demeanor. Are you man enough to do
that?

I'm a customer whose _trying_
to get help from NVIDIA with an updated driver that's represented as
working with their videocard. I didn't find it at their website. Why
the company bothers calling what I saw there "support" is
unfathomable!

Perhaps you somehow managed to miss that which is quite clearly stated (in
multiple places), that Nvidia don't provide support to end-users. You're
supposed to turn to the manufacturer of your video card (or system, if it is
a brand model).

* When I come to this newsgroup -- the only source of input on NVIDIA
videocards I've been able to locate -- I got a lot of unprofessional,
****y comments that do nothing to help resolve my issue, and serve
only to aggravate me further!

Yeah well what do you expect? You get what you pay for...

It's our way, or the highway buddy. Generally you do get better responses
by NOT making your post sound like, 'you there, help me with this now!',
which is what your original post did. You've already been offered as much
help as can be given considering the information you've offered about your
system and the problem you're experiencing. Summing up your options it's
either: try a different generic driver revision from Nvidia (the immediately
nearest version to the one giving you problems would be a good starting
point), taking care to (un)install it all as prescribed in the readme file,
OR contacting your actual manufacturer's support center.

* I've been seeking advice for computer problems on newsgroups for
years. This is the first time I've encountered such invidiousness

Well, maybe because people here are a bit tired of bossy people and repeat
questions. There's many people posting here on a daily basis, and after
staying a while you tend to see most every question and problem repeated
multiple times.

(This pun is intended and, IMHO, warranted.). By my experience, the
attitude assumed here is neither typical, nor appropriate.

Like I said, you get what you pay for.
If you find the level of service dissatisfactory...

Whatever you do however, don't complain, whine or bitch, coz nobody here
owes you anything. Alright?!