Help needed with SATA drive please !!!

Old May 4th 04, 10:54 AM
Andy Rose

Default Help needed with SATA drive please !!!

Hello, I really need your help to get this running. I have a ASUS A7N8X-E
Deluxe motherboard and would like to remove the old IDE 80 Gb drive.
Instead, I'd like to install the Hitachi 160 Gb SATA drive I just bought.
So far, so good. I removed the old hd and put the new one in. After
connecting the cabels and power, I tried to boot the PC. The system said the
was no valid Disk found - please check cable. (As far as I could tell,
there's only one possible way to attach the SATA cable). So after a while, I
put back the IDE drive, leaving the SATA one in place.
Now, the SATA drive is ignored by the system, as if it weren' there. *sigh*
I'm sick of spending my time without getting things to run.

Any help is gladly accepted. Any information needed on your behalf is
supplied upon request.

Please have a heart. Btw: Is there any danger of using single SATA? Or is it
much better than IDE?!?

hmmm, *oh, dear*.......

thanx - andy

Old May 4th 04, 12:47 PM
Pen

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/sock.../overview.htm#
Did you enable the sata controllers?(page 2-17 of the manual)

Old May 4th 04, 12:54 PM
Andy Rose

Thanx Pen, I'm in the office at the moment and can't check it right now.
I'll see in to it at home. Hopefully this'll help.

best regards,

Andy Rose

Old May 4th 04, 06:29 PM
Andy Rose

help.

Thank you very much for your responses so far. Sadly, it still isn't
working.
I've checked the jumper settings. SATA support is on by default. The drive
is mouted in the bay and connected to power as well as to the onboard SATA
connector.
I've also checked the PNP settings, there is no Y or N setting. It's set to
auto at the moment.
I also have booted of the XP cd and tried to install. I don't know where to
supply the drivers from. There is a SATA driver download on the net, but
it's over 4 mb, so I don't think that's what I need.
I also flashed the bios to 1.008 version, the newest offered on asuscom.de.
Reading the manual, (which I did already once), didn't help me much. (???)

So here's the situation :

- Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe MoBo
Bios ver. 1.008
- Hitachi SATA HD 164 gb, bulk 'as it came'
non formated
- LiteOnDVD Burner on Sec. Slave IDE
- Floppydisk
- No OS installes
- No other HD installed

Please, how to get do I create a drivers disk - where to get the files. How
do I install the single HD?

I'm quite desperate about this, as I've spent over 4 nights on this matter
and really need some sleep.
(aaaargrgrhhhhh..... )

best regards,

Andy r.

Old May 4th 04, 07:03 PM
Pen

Have you tried , enabling "Boot Other Device" (page 4-16)
and also you can try, if that doesn't work, enabling SCSI
as a Boot Device. SCSI devices are always on another
controller as is the SATA. Also read 5-2 about SATA drivers.

Old May 5th 04, 03:05 AM
Andy

On Tue, 4 May 2004 19:29:25 +0200, "Andy Rose"
wrote:

help.

Thank you very much for your responses so far. Sadly, it still isn't
working.
I've checked the jumper settings. SATA support is on by default. The drive
is mouted in the bay and connected to power as well as to the onboard SATA
connector.
I've also checked the PNP settings, there is no Y or N setting. It's set to
auto at the moment.
I also have booted of the XP cd and tried to install. I don't know where to
supply the drivers from. There is a SATA driver download on the net, but
it's over 4 mb, so I don't think that's what I need.

That's exactly what you need. The driver files take only about 200KB
of space. The SATA driver should also be on the CD that came with the
motherboard.

Old May 5th 04, 11:03 AM
Andy Rose

Ok - all up and running. Here's the solution:

- SATA setup was not available during bootup. After removing internal Wifi
Card, setup was accessible via F4. Thanx to John for pointing out the
possibility of a hardware conflict - that was the initial key.

- Found a forum on the web where they tell you, how to create a driver disk
for the WinXP installation. (I think I threw mine in the trash, as many
others did b4 they bought a sata drive......).

- Popped in the CD, slammed F6, waited for the boot to finish and supplied
the disk when promoted. Presto! 164gb up and running. ......(Fast,
too.)

Thanx to all of you, for all the help supplied. Wouldn't have made it
without you.