Smoke from my Abit NF7

Old April 22nd 04, 04:06 AM
OD2rileec

Default Smoke from my Abit NF7

Upon installation of some ram, I could see a small amount of smoke and smell
something electrical. The problem was surely the ram, however I don't know
what other parts of the computer might have been effected by this "short".
The ram is DONE for sure, some of the terminals are black but what other
parts of the computer could possibly be fried? The motherboard is for sure
too, I assume, but what about the CPU, the HD, video card, etc? Does this
board of some fail safe or surge protector that could have saved something?

Old April 22nd 04, 06:14 AM
Noozer

"OD2rileec" wrote in message
Upon installation of some ram, I could see a small amount of smoke and

smell
something electrical. The problem was surely the ram, however I don't

know
what other parts of the computer might have been effected by this "short".
The ram is DONE for sure, some of the terminals are black but what other
parts of the computer could possibly be fried? The motherboard is for

sure
too, I assume, but what about the CPU, the HD, video card, etc? Does this
board of some fail safe or surge protector that could have saved

something?

What happens now that the ram is removed? Does it beep? Fans spin?

Old April 22nd 04, 03:27 PM
kony

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:06:58 -0500, "OD2rileec"
wrote:

Upon installation of some ram, I could see a small amount of smoke and smell
something electrical. The problem was surely the ram, however I don't know
what other parts of the computer might have been effected by this "short".
The ram is DONE for sure, some of the terminals are black but what other
parts of the computer could possibly be fried? The motherboard is for sure
too, I assume, but what about the CPU, the HD, video card, etc? Does this
board of some fail safe or surge protector that could have saved something?

You're asking if that board in particular offers some saftey measure
beyond what other boards may? Seems pretty unlikely.

I haven't seen your problem happen a lot, but when it happened, only the
board and the memory module was damaged. I've seen boards on which the
manufacturer has replaced the slot and returned the board to service
(after a user had (partially) inserted a memory module backwards).

I'd replace the board, memory, and retry everything else.
Old April 22nd 04, 05:15 PM
OD2rileec

So I get a new board new ram and keep everything else. What if the cpu is
blown, will that not cause any problems?

Old April 22nd 04, 06:58 PM
half_pint

"OD2rileec" wrote in message
Upon installation of some ram, I could see a small amount of smoke and

smell
something electrical. The problem was surely the ram, however I don't

know
what other parts of the computer might have been effected by this "short".
The ram is DONE for sure, some of the terminals are black but what other
parts of the computer could possibly be fried? The motherboard is for

sure
too, I assume, but what about the CPU, the HD, video card, etc? Does this
board of some fail safe or surge protector that could have saved

something?

I assume any short circuit was in the ram and/or within its connecting
circuitary. Its likey other chips CPU etc are uneffective it all depends
on what exactly what happened.
You assume the mobo is done? why? are the tracks around the memory
melted?
A visual inspection should give you a good idea of what has been damaged.

It wouuld be sensible for various componets to be fused.
Obviously you need to take more care in future, if you suspect
a problem power off immediately and check again.

I would just try again with some more ram but if the thing doesn't
spring into like pretty sharpish power off before you do any more
damage (the damage would have been done first time round anyway,
so you have nothing to lose).

Old April 22nd 04, 08:11 PM
kony

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:15:41 -0500, "OD2rileec"
wrote:

So I get a new board new ram and keep everything else. What if the cpu is
blown, will that not cause any problems?

If it's blown, yes, problems.

The question is, how much do you want to spend to replace parts that
probably aren't blown? I can't give you reliable statistics, only that in
my limited experience with this situation that the CPU "can" survive and
probably did. It's not connected directly to the memory anway, that goes
through the motherboard's northbridge.
Old April 25th 04, 03:08 AM
WebWalker

wrote:

Upon installation of some ram, I could see a small amount of smoke and smell
something electrical. The problem was surely the ram, however I don't know
what other parts of the computer might have been effected by this "short".
The ram is DONE for sure, some of the terminals are black but what other
parts of the computer could possibly be fried? The motherboard is for sure
too, I assume, but what about the CPU, the HD, video card, etc? Does this
board of some fail safe or surge protector that could have saved something?

Use your nose to smell those parts.
Most of the time you can tell which one is fried.

--
WebWalker

PGP Key ID : 0xB3F1A279