Do I need drivers for a SATA drive?

Old November 21st 04, 05:50 AM
Igor

Default Do I need drivers for a SATA drive?

I'm building a new system using the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard. I am
considering buying a SATA drive (not planning on using it in any RAID
configuration).
Do I hear correctly that I will need to install Windows drivers in order to
get the drive to work?
This might seem like a dumb question but how would I load Windows onto a
blank drive if the drive won't work without having the drivers installed?
Someone told me this is the reason I will still need to have a floppy drive
on my system. I'm not really sure that makes sense.

Thanks, John

Old November 21st 04, 07:06 AM
Pete D

I guess if you told us what version of Windows you you are using then we
might be able to tell you. If XP then it will not be needed.

Old November 21st 04, 11:24 AM
Martin

Yes, you need drivers. They are included on the ASUS cd, which has a utility
to make a floppy disk with the SATA/RAID drivers (for the NVIDIA controller.
There's also a promise controller on this board). When booting from the
windows cd, you immediately get the option to load special drivers by
pressing F6. Then you use that floppy...
On your board are two SATA controllers. I think it's best to connect your
SATA drive to the NVDIA controller.

Martin
The Netherlands

"Igor" jruh@comcastDOTnet schreef in bericht

Old November 21st 04, 02:56 PM
Courseyauto

"Igor" jruh@comcastDOTnet wrote in message
I'm building a new system using the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard. I am
considering buying a SATA drive (not planning on using it in any RAID
configuration).
Do I hear correctly that I will need to install Windows drivers in order
get the drive to work?
This might seem like a dumb question but how would I load Windows onto a
blank drive if the drive won't work without having the drivers installed?
Someone told me this is the reason I will still need to have a floppy
drive
on my system. I'm not really sure that makes sense.

Thanks, John

There are no Sata or SCSI drivers in XP. You will need to have the driver on
a floppy,and hit F6 when asked when first installing the OS. Even if you are
not going to use raid you need the drivers so XP will recognize the drive.
DOUG
Old November 21st 04, 03:11 PM
m.marien

"Courseyauto" wrote in message

[...]

Be sure to use the correct drivers. There are different drivers for just
SATA and SATA RAID. You also have to have the correct settings in the BIOS.
The SATA drivers won't work if you have the BIOS set to RAID.

Is this getting too complicated ? What ever happened to thet plug n play
stuff ?

Old November 21st 04, 07:00 PM
Ender

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 23:50:59 -0600, "Igor" jruh@comcastDOTnet wrote:

I'm building a new system using the K8N-E Deluxe motherboard. I am
considering buying a SATA drive (not planning on using it in any RAID
configuration).
Do I hear correctly that I will need to install Windows drivers in order to
get the drive to work?
This might seem like a dumb question but how would I load Windows onto a
blank drive if the drive won't work without having the drivers installed?
Someone told me this is the reason I will still need to have a floppy drive
on my system. I'm not really sure that makes sense.

Thanks, John

Wow, you have gotten a whole range of answers for this. You do NOT
need to go through the F6 (third party drivers) when using a SATA
drive in a non-raid setup. Windows XP will detect the drive fine
without any special drivers. As with most newer systems, it will be
necessary to provide XP with chipset drivers for your board once the
initial installation is done, just as you would if you were using an
EIDE drive.

Ender

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Old November 21st 04, 09:05 PM
Martin

I really think you're mistaken. I've installed two systems with the F6
option the last week... If the SATA drive is the only drive in the system
and you want to do a new Windows install on it, you will need to load the
drivers from disk.
You would have been right if you add a SATA drive to an existing system.

Wow, you have gotten a whole range of answers for this. You do NOT
need to go through the F6 (third party drivers) when using a SATA
drive in a non-raid setup. Windows XP will detect the drive fine
without any special drivers. As with most newer systems, it will be
necessary to provide XP with chipset drivers for your board once the
initial installation is done, just as you would if you were using an
EIDE drive.

Ender

nothing." Edmund Burke

Old November 21st 04, 10:25 PM
Ender

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 22:05:47 +0100, "Martin" wrote:

I really think you're mistaken. I've installed two systems with the F6
option the last week... If the SATA drive is the only drive in the system
and you want to do a new Windows install on it, you will need to load the
drivers from disk.
You would have been right if you add a SATA drive to an existing system.

Wow, you have gotten a whole range of answers for this. You do NOT
need to go through the F6 (third party drivers) when using a SATA
drive in a non-raid setup. Windows XP will detect the drive fine
without any special drivers. As with most newer systems, it will be
necessary to provide XP with chipset drivers for your board once the
initial installation is done, just as you would if you were using an
EIDE drive.

Ender

nothing." Edmund Burke

Many people agree with you. The reality is, in a clean install of XP,
if your bios can see it, XP will also. It worked that way for me in a
clean 745P chipset install, and also an A7N8X (Nvidia Chipset) both
with WD 74G Raptor SATA drives. I asked the same question when
building my first systemswith a SATA boot drive and received a mixed
venue of advice. The response from ASUS was: You can do it with or
without installing drivers at the F6 prompt. They did point out that
If you wish to do a "RAID ready" install, you can install the provided
drivers at the F6 prompt, but if you have no intention of running RAID
then you can skip that step. Windows XP will use the drivers:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\disk.sys
c:\windows\system32\drivers\PartMgr.sys

Regards,

Old November 21st 04, 10:32 PM
Martin

I will remember that for my next install, in a year or so ;-)
Must say, it's the first time I hear this. I does explain the poor
explanation in the mobo's manual though... They only mention needing a disk
for a SATA/RAID install. I thought that meant: SATA or RAID...

--
Martin
The Netherlands

"Ender" schreef in bericht